Notices

Back at it.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at it.

Back to Day 1, after eleven days not drinking. Damn. Really disappointed with myself. Long story short, out of town traveling. Had a dinner with coworkers last night, everyone enjoying a beer, and I had one. Got back to hotel and had a few more.

No mental defense, lonely and tired, were triggers. HALT. Utterly powerless over this disease. And, I did not go to a meeting while here. Perfect storm.

Trying to be positive. Another day. Grateful for having this morning and at least having an opportunity for a day 1.

Thanks for the support.......or a virtual 2x4 to my head. I sometimes need that instead to actually see the obvious.

Good day to everyone.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's different philosophies so i won't get too much into anything, but be proud of the 11 days. Sobriety is the goal but perfection isn't the only way to judge if there's progress. For me it has been taking practice...when I stopped beating the hell out of myself for every slip up it made it easier not to give up and have a "f*** it, I'm doomed bender". I just went 100 days and now I'm back up to a week. I feel ya
Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're trying again. Never give up! Keep trying until you get it right.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Third time, it's Day 1; you are not drinking; go with that; keep going one day at time; you will soon have another 11 days under your belt and then many more.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Treating every slip as having blown all your progress and constantly returning to Day 1 feels punitive. Don't discount the progress you've made and learn from your mistakes. If you beat yourself down and always treat it like you're returning to square one, as though you haven't learned anything, you'll only get discouraged.

And the AV loves it when we get discouraged!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Don't beat yourself up. You are trying again, that is what is most important. You can and will beat this. We believe in you.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And the AV loves it when we get discouraged![/QUOTE]

Man that is so true!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Man. Thanks for the perspective. Got me off my self pity and failure mode today. Punitive ....great way to NOT look at it. I have learned. I am back here today.

I truly appreciate the words and support.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely do not beat yourself up Third - but do take lessons from this.

I think - if you know you'll be travelling - it's imperative to have a plan. Like I said to you recently - make sure the minibar is not stocked, or stocked non alcoholic stuff...keep connected to SR...and keep using it...one post or two posts may not be enough?

and whether meetings are your thing or not, why not research where the AA meetings are in the town anyway, or SMART, or LifeRing...

if you really want to stay sober, and it's one of those times it seems like everyone's drinking, you could be real glad of real life sober support?

D
Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Definitely do not beat yourself up Third - but do take lessons from this. I think - if you know you'll be travelling - it's imperative to have a plan. Like I said to you recently - make sure the minibar is not stocked, or stocked non alcoholic stuff...keep connected to SR...and keep using it...one post or two posts may not be enough? and whether meetings are your thing or not, why not research where the AA meetings are in the town anyway, or SMART, or LifeRing... if you really want to stay sober, and it's one of those times it seems like everyone's drinking, you could be real glad of real life sober support? D
I agree with Dee.

With my work I travel quite a lot and the enticing hotel bar / mini bar in the room have caught me out a few times now.

I now request a non-alcoholic minibar of I'm travelling. It's a much more common request than you think! I know for me I'd really struggle with the temptation of it being right there.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All. Good points and taken. Dee, yes, thank you. Exactly what I need to hear and DO. Have a plan, and stick with it.

Back home. Day 2. Meeting this morning.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Keep at it Third, we are rooting for you
Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Thirdtime,
That happened to me to. 14 days and then I drank. Didn't even enjoy it. Wasn't worth it. All it did is remind me I wasn't giving up anything special other than hangovers and regrets. That was over a year ago. It was the last time I drank.

I didn't spend to much time thinking about my mistake. I just focused on that it really didn't offer anything and moved forward. I didn't look back.

It can be the one that pulls you back into it or it can be the one that tells you it's over.

Let it be the last one. You can do it.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I try not to concentrate on anything but today. I bragged too much about having 11 years. Should have known not to get complacent and lose humility. Just finding it hard to get back to meetings.
I had gone 3 years without attending.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to SR GabesGrandma