Notices

Helping your sister

Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helping your sister

For 15 years we have supported my sister. She refuses to give up her addiction.
Today she has been evicted from her home. This is at least the 5th time in 4 years. We have paid for rehab for her over ten times and nothing has worked. I feel horrible turning my back on her. She lies and steals from friends and family.
Should we continue to support her?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, Gregory, I am so sorry. What a hard situation to be in. have you gone to al-anon?

you have come to a good place for help. many have been there, understand and care.

my heart goes out to you.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If it were me, I'd let her hit bottom. Sounds cold, but look how much help she's been given... and still addicted. Please take a look at our Friends and Family of substance abusers forum. (there's one for alcoholics' friends and family too). There is a wealth of info and insight there from people in your same situation.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

I agree with Least. I know that no one could make me quit drinking. I had to do it for myself. I lost my six year relationship and scores of friends. I had to be the one to decide when enough was enough.

I'm wishing you all the best, Gregory.

You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm sorry for your situation.

I hope your sister decides to seek support and help herself.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gregory - I'm so glad you reached out for some help. I'm sorry for all you've been through with your sister. I hope being here will help with the anxiety you must be feeling.

Sadly, I agree with the others - you've gone above and beyond to try and help. It hasn't resulted in her sobering up and being responsible. I also think Al-Anon would be helpful. Please keep posting and reading - we care.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to the responses. I feel like their must be something more I can do. She has been in rehab sometimes for over 4 months and nothing phase worked. Should we let her go on the street and take care of herself?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I think you should let her face the consequences of her choices, instead of sheltering her and helping her continue her addiction. There are no easy answers, definitely go to the Friends and Family section and read the threads at the top of the forum.

I'm very sorry for your painful situation.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many addicts are shameless manipulators. She will always use you if you make your self easily-used. She needs to hit rock bottom and feel what it is like to not be able to push the easy button. If she genuinely comes around maybe she will genuinely accept your help and appreciate it, rather than exploit it.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Gregory I know it will be hard but as others have said she needs to hit rock bottom, I had to hit rock bottom too and it may cost me but otherwise I don't think I would be sober today. Rehab will only work if she wants to change.