Notices

Iron

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Iron

I was having some liver issues and that scared me so I stopped... for like a month! Then I went back for the test results actually sort of hoping the doctor would say no more drinking... EVER. Nope... come to find out my liver issue has to do with the fact that I have too much iron floating around in my blood. So poor me, I have to give up eating organ meats and spinach. LOL! She even did a specific test to see if the liver issue is alcohol related... Nope. I was almost disappointed. I realize that drinking is still not good for my liver and even tho the doctor didn't say it... I should avoid alcohol since my liver has enough work to do without dealing with booze. I'm working on that. But I thought for sure this would be THE REASON that I needed.

Just talking... thanks for listening.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking more would certainly not help matters tho SoulKat.

I should avoid alcohol since my liver has enough work to do without dealing with booze.
Yep. spot on

D
Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a good reason to take care of your liver.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
orangutan

I had the same problem , my liver profile was through the roof, had a liver biopsy and the problem was iron overload stoped drinking for 9 months and my next liver biopsy was good. Unfortunately I went back to drinking and my liver profile was high again last blood test, back on the wagon now, more blood work coming up soon.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulKat View Post
I was having some liver issues and that scared me so I stopped... for like a month! Then I went back for the test results actually sort of hoping the doctor would say no more drinking... EVER. Nope... come to find out my liver issue has to do with the fact that I have too much iron floating around in my blood. So poor me, I have to give up eating organ meats and spinach. LOL! She even did a specific test to see if the liver issue is alcohol related... Nope. I was almost disappointed. I realize that drinking is still not good for my liver and even tho the doctor didn't say it... I should avoid alcohol since my liver has enough work to do without dealing with booze. I'm working on that. But I thought for sure this would be THE REASON that I needed.

Just talking... thanks for listening.
Well, not all doctors know everything to do with liver issues. I had high iron, long before I found out I had fibrosis. So, do not dismiss alcohol's role in your iron issues. I was told to not take vitamins with iron, etc..., but really, everything went normal, once i hade several months sobriety.