Notices

Foggy-headed and zoning out

Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Foggy-headed and zoning out

An incident here on SR today brings to mind another issue I'm dealing with during these first few months of sobriety. I can't seem to make sense out of things sometimes. I posted to someone's thread here, looked back at what I wrote, felt like an idiot because I thought I said the opposite of what I meant, corrected it, then looked back again and it appears I had it right the first time after all! Even at work, I find myself completely zoning out while someone is talking to me and feeling so embarrassed when it becomes apparent I have no idea what we're discussing. Sometimes I find myself just staring with my mouth gaped open. WTF?! I don't think I appeared this addled and confused even when I was drinking! Did I fry my brain? Anyone else deal with that?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very common. I just posted about it in the thread "My log: finally quitting alcohol and weed, permanently".

Depending on your age and extent of past drinking, you can expect it to get much better with more time.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I called it my foggy brain syndrome; my head didn't true start to clear until after 6 months. I found it the most alarming while driving. I quite literally had to keep telling my "focus, focus, focus" over and over again. So many posters on this site have told of similar experiences; it will get better, GetMeOut.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same happen to me.

I think it's normal but talking to your doctor is always a good idea.

It's got something to do with the chemical imbalance.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A month or so back I was driving down the highway totally zoned out. Felt like I was drunk and had to shake my head a few times. This happened more than once. It was 60 days since my last drink when that happened. I still wake up sometimes in a sort of fog. It's really weird and hard to explain.