Notices

Not sure what to do

Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not sure what to do

I really enjoy woodworking. Using that power saw to rip lumber is very soothing. It relaxes me and takes away the stress of the day. The problem is that I keep cutting off fingers.

Not every time. Sometimes I cut a few boards and then quit - no problems. A lot of times, though, I just get going and I can't stop. Then - whammo! a finger comes off. Never saw it coming.

Most of the time I can get them reattached. I rebound pretty quickly from that and a few days later I am back to shaping wood again. I'm really careful for a while, but sooner or later I slip up and lose a finger. Once or twice I gouged into my arm, but that doesn't happen very often, so I am not worried.

Do you think this is a problem? What should I do?

Why does it sound so stupid and obvious when the problem isn't alcohol?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you are indeed serious, perhaps you could take a course at a local tech college on woodworking safety?
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ahem.....
Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Step away from the saw. Leave the wood alone. Maybe take up bird watching or gluing model planes. You only have ten fingers. Two arms, and new ones don't work well. I hope you are joking.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lol - I like the mataphor. If woodworking changed your state of being I would say its the same. The mind has a funny way of building prison walls around itself though. I never underestimate the power of a spell.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your metaphor really threw me for a minute - I was like, WHAT????

And then I saw the almost hidden sentence at the end - "Why does it sound so stupid and obvious when the problem isn't alcohol?" Great post!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love it!! I think this kind of thinking is what woke me up to the fact that my relationship to alcohol truly was an addiction. Anything else in life that caused me obvious problems was so easy to say goodbye to and yet with alcohol, it is daily vigilance. I love the appeal of your post to my logical side!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Love it, Non. Especially the title..."not sure what to do" lol
Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Step away from the wood
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First thing I would do is pick up the finger and wrap it in bacon!

Yep, the horror of it all... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNUr__-VZeQ

This scene reminds me of what it was like sometimes waking up - or coming around - and trying to remember what I did.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I really enjoy woodworking. Using that power saw to rip lumber is very soothing. It relaxes me and takes away the stress of the day. The problem is that I keep cutting off fingers.

Not every time. Sometimes I cut a few boards and then quit - no problems. A lot of times, though, I just get going and I can't stop. Then - whammo! a finger comes off. Never saw it coming.

Most of the time I can get them reattached. I rebound pretty quickly from that and a few days later I am back to shaping wood again. I'm really careful for a while, but sooner or later I slip up and lose a finger. Once or twice I gouged into my arm, but that doesn't happen very often, so I am not worried.

Do you think this is a problem? What should I do?

Well if you keep losing fingers then that would solve your drinking problem😄 but seriously be safe
Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Love the post)

But if trying to answer the question, maybe, because our friends, neighbors, colleagues, relatives - a lot of them enjoy woodworking to some extent. Many of them are losing fingers, and people are getting so used to it, kind of "no big deal"...Media keeps pushing advertisements about new incredible power saws they will make you a man of your dream.

Woodworking has a long history, legends, goes back to ancient times, and our grand-grands - they loved it too.

People are looking forward to Friday to start ripping limber, and can't get enough of that. And then on Monday show each other unique scars where cut off fingers were put back in place.

Just a thought...
Old 04-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeekingGrowth View Post
Your metaphor really threw me for a minute - I was like, WHAT????

And then I saw the almost hidden sentence at the end - "Why does it sound so stupid and obvious when the problem isn't alcohol?" Great post!
Me too! Whew!! Great post, thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reminds me of the Jaywalker story from AA's big book:

Our behavior is as absurd and incomprehensible with respect to the first drink as that of an individual with a passion, say, for jay-walking. He gets a thrill out of skipping in front of fast-moving vehicles. He enjoys himself for a few years in spite of friendly warnings. Up to this point you would label him as a foolish chap having queer ideas of fun. Luck then deserts him and he is slightly injured several times in succession. You would expect him, if he were normal, to cut it out. Presently he is hit again and this time has a fractured skull. Within a week after leaving the hospital a fast-moving trolley car breaks his arm. He tells you he has decided to stop jay-walking for good, but in a few weeks he breaks both legs.

On through the years this conduct continues, accompanied by his continual promises to be careful or to keep off the streets altogether. Finally, he can no longer work, his wife gets a divorce and he is held up to ridicule. He tries every known means to get the jaywalking idea out of his head. He shuts himself up in an asylum, hoping to mend his ways. But the day he comes out he races in front of a fire engine, which breaks his back. Such a man would be crazy, wouldn't he?

You may think our illustration is too ridiculous. But is it? We, who have been through the wringer, have to admit if we substituted alcoholism or any addiction for jay-walking, the illustration would fit exactly. However intelligent we may have been in other respects, where alcohol has been involved, we have been strangely insane. It's strong language but isn't it true?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd say get a bigger chainsaw, one with more power. And while using it try balancing on 1 foot rather than 2 feet, you'll be less stable that way.

Also, when you do cut off a finger - if they can't reattach it, see if the doctor can transplant a toe. You've got 10 of those and really when do you ever use a toe. These tips should help. Good luck!!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OMG. For two seconds I thought you were serious and was going to suggest that no shed was worth this much pain and that you should stick to the bacon. Great analogy to the struggle with addiction. Though this sounded like me when I was cooking while intoxicated. I actually did slice the tip off the side of my finger and now have residual nerve damage. Don't play with sharp objects while drunk.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Thanks for the all the replies. Also, thanks for understanding my metaphor, although I think everyone who replied already understood the thesis without the metaphor. I was really making it for newcomers, many of whom express something to the effect of Bad things continually happen when I drink, but I can't imagine just giving it up completely.

It is a thought I wrestled with for 20+ years. How do I cut back enough to make the bad stuff stop happening? The obvious solution of just avoiding alcohol altogether was never actually obvious. It takes over our minds in a way that few other perils ever could.

Truth be told, my AV still preys on that thought process. Maybe just once a year? Take a vacation someplace and light it up for a day or two. You can handle that. Problem is - then - whammo! a finger comes off.

I do love ripping lumber, and I still have all my fingers. Of all the constrain-the-drinking rules I ever put in place for myself (while I was still drinking) that may be the only one I never violated - I never operated my saws when drunk. I would frequently arrange a project to make all the cuts first, and then start assembly, but once the booze came out the saws stayed off. If I ever decide to work the 12 steps perhaps that will be my HP.

Thanks Again!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh Nons, I am so gullible! For about twenty seconds you had me going there. Great metaphor.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If I didn't already know your humour Non I'd have been saying I can't really see this woodwork thing working out for you, time to pick up stamp collecting or somthing less dangerous, I'm sure Mrs Non would have backed me up on that one!!

Great mataphor!!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You had me going. Amazing how even my initial thought process was very similar to the vicious cycle of drinking...I thought - maybe if he wore some good gloves, maybe if he switched to a less powerful saw...then I finally got it...there is no maybe if - you just need to put the saw down.

Funny and thought provoking - thanks!