Notices

30 days & having difficulities changing my habits

Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days & having difficulities changing my habits

Hey everyone happy Easter Monday

I'm on day 30 and am so grateful and thankful...

Anyone else find themselves craving chocolate and cigarettes now that you've quit drinking?

I am noticing that when my life gets stressful I am now turning to mainly chocolate or food and or a puff of a smoke. I seem to do this subconsciously but am now noticing it and thought I would ask you all for suggestions on what else u guys might do instead?

I'm glad I'm not drinking but having more options that others found that work would be very helpful.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cake - the first month or so I ate so much cake, especially red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. I also became a caffeine fiend and drank a lot more coffee than usual.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes on the chocolate! Have it almost every night, but limit myself to 2 or 3 squares of it. Almost a year sober and still doing my nightly ritual of tea and chocolate:-)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

from day 30 to day 60 I would run out of the house late at night to get my chocolate if I ran out. Then sometimes I would go through a bag of them veggie sticks - the big bag from costco. I grab a handful of veggie sticks and throw them down with a chocolat covered almond chaser. I'd eat a pound of chocolate in a couple days. No wonder I started getting headaches. after about a month of that I started to realize what I was doing? Holy crap batman! Now I hardly eat any chocolate or candy unless it is mixed in with the trail mix I munch on sometimes. But I'm still eating a lot of crap. Lately I am forcing myself to make big salads.
So, in short -long- you are not unusual.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My AH always told me it was his body craving sugar because it was not getting the sugar from the alcohol? Any thoughts on this? Anyway, soda, candy, cookies. Anything loaded with sugar. It always took a few months for that to phase out.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are in good company. I found myself in a donut shop parking lot with a box of six. I don't like donuts. But I ate them all in my car. Within 5 minutes. I didn't even know what was happening until it was over. I was about a week sober.

For the first time in a long time I laughed. I decided it was better to be a donut fiend than a booze fiend. It subsided but I ate sugar like a maniac for a few weeks.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I replaced booze with ice cream, cookies, donuts, cheesecake and so on. Lots of it! I may smoke a few more cigarettes now than when I was drinking, but of course I was passed out half the day and had way less hours to smoke

And I drink tons of coffee.

Not complaining though!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I eat cookies now. But I'm working hard to curb my carbs. Not much success, but at least I'm not drinking!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank god in not alone hehehe thanks everyone for sharing ... I feel a lot better now that I know I'm not totally outta wack lol--- I never saw this change coming BUT I'm so happy there is hope to start to feel unconditional love at meetings and beginning to think about how to live a sober life
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I cleaned the drug store out of jelly beans for easter. I am trying not to worry about it, but sometimes I am hard on myself and think that it is just my addictive personality. One day at a time. When I get more sober time under my belt I will deal with the jelly bean problem.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sometimes truly believe that chocolate is the reason I am sober today!

I craved it like it was going out of style. It is better now but I still love it and indulge more than I should and way more than I used to.

Feel the CHOCOLATE!