Notices

Going to try again

Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to try again

Well, it's been a long road. 35 years ago I began drinking. I'm a binge drinker, just beer. This will be my third attempt. I've never sought help, just quit, but over time always let myself talk me into to believing I can just drink a few and then a few months later I'm back to getting plastered every weekend. I don't ever want to drink again, I'm hoping I can pull it off this time. From what I've read on this site so far it looks like some great information. Wish me luck!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support and useful info here. You've made a wise choice to quit drinking. Getting sober is the best thing I've ever done for myself.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome littledan

I was a beer drinker too. Wishing you the best of course, but you don't need luck, just commitment

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-21-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! you'll find loads of support here!!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you Littledan. You are not alone. I felt so much better when I had people to talk to who truly understood. I drank for decades too - it feels great to be free. You can do this.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I was so surprised that so many have gone through what I've struggled with so long. I never had much of a family life and realize now that I was seeking it by drinking with others. I guess I've got a lot to learn. Hopefully it will be permanent this time.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You've got lots of company. Ive been drinking heavy for the past 15 years. Every day but weekends I would drink until I blacked out and passed out. I was about to lose my family. I've got 4 good days in now and i feel great. I know that I will have to deal with triggers. All my friends drink. Prepare yourself for the weekend ahead of time. Some things I've learned here..play the tape..close your eyes and play the tape of you buying beer...drinking at the bar..spending all your money..waking up sick..broke..and maybe not even remembering the night. Change your habits. If you go home by the store you normally by beer at go another way. If you normally meet friends on friday or saturday nights..bow out for a couple of weeks. This is a big deal and you can do it. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, luckily I've not lost them yet, but they rarely have much to do with me anymore. Good advice, I've been sober for periods of years before but always talk myself back into it thinking I can drink in moderation. For some reason I convince myself that I'm missing something from my life that I enjoy doing. It starts with one and progresses to ridiculous. Just need to take it one day at a time. I didn't drink today and tomorrow I'll do the same!