Notices

Wake Up Call

Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wake Up Call

Today is the day I stop drinking. I've been working with my doctor to stop drinking and I haven't kept up my end of the bargain. He finally said today that he will no longer see me on a mental health basis (he has been managing my anti anxiety medications). I thought it was acceptable to limit my drinking only to weekends but he said flatly "not good enough," and essentially he would not be used for medication.

This really scares me but is also the wake up call that I needed. I haven't really suffered any "rock bottoms" to shake me enough to really stop. But now I see that my drinking is really holding me back.

I start a new job tomorrow and am extremely nervous about it, but I know that I would be better able to cope with negative emotion if I hadn't been abusing alcohol. But I see there is no time like now to reinvent myself, to use the Easter and Spring season to work to become who I want to be.

I hope he will take me back, but at the very least I hope I can find another doctor who can manage my medications. I have about a month and a half left of my medications, so I'll be okay in the short time.

Sorry for the long post, but if you made it to the end please keep me in your thoughts. I'm pretty anxious and a little scared right now. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking, my anxiety dropped from 100 to 2.

The alcohol was causing most of my anxiety.

If you stop drinking, there's a good chance this will also be your experience. I've heard it and read it too many times to not believe it is often the case.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good luck on your new job and your new sobriety.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
When I stopped drinking, my anxiety dropped from 100 to 2.

The alcohol was causing most of my anxiety.

If you stop drinking, there's a good chance this will also be your experience. I've heard it and read it too many times to not believe it is often the case.
I can attest to this.^^^
And I applaud the doctor who sent you packing because you didn't follow his instruction. Now you want to find a new one. Are you going to listen this time?
Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you do decide to stop drinking and recover.

Good luck with your new job.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comingoutsober View Post
I hope he will take me back, but at the very least I hope I can find another doctor who can manage my medications. I have about a month and a half left of my medications, so I'll be okay in the short time.
It's time to quit alcohol and be Sober, changing Dr will only prolong the inevitable, working towards leading a Sober life, which as already mentioned will reduce your anxiety!!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You will be in my thoughts. Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. I agree about the anxiety lessening when you're sober. I was making myself sick and miserable - thinking I was helping myself cope. You don't need it comingoutsober.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck with your new job!

Hugs and prayers x
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support, all I can do is take it a day at a time!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck with the new job. When I quit my anxiety dropped to almost zero. Flares up if I'm too tired or drink too much caffeine so I have To be cautious.

Looking for a new doctor for the meds will only prolong things if your anxiety is intertwined with alcohol withdrawal. I was using my benzos to cope with alcohol withdrawal before I ever truly realized it was withdrawal. When I realized it was withdrawal i then used the benzos for the wrong purpose which was to manage my anxiety related to withdrawal during the day until I could start drinking again at night. When I went into rehab the woman who took me threw out my ninety day supply and I was really angry. But you know what? When I got out I didn't need them.

Thinking about what might happen when you run out will only ratchet up your anxiety. I find it helpful to practice deep breathing and short meditations if I am feeling stressed and it works for me. Getting enough sleep, avoiding caffeine and too much sugar helps as well as eating sensibly. Good luck with the job.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I meant to say when I quit drinking alcohol completely my anxiety quit.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My anxiety was sky high before quitting my addiction to synthetic weed. I have been off it for 5 days and my levels of anxiety have dropped tremendously. Most of the anxiety I think comes from the thought of actually quitting... Soo once you get past the quitting part, the anxiety naturally goes away over time. This is my experience at least
Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here comingoutsober - welcome to SR

D
Old 04-22-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I appreciate the support and well wishes, but I struggled with an anxiety disorder long before I started drinking. I have been taking Paxil for over ten years before certain life events caused me to start drinking heavily. I have tried to stop taking paxil, but I do feel that is a medication that I need. So either I will have to prove to the old doctor I can quit drinking or I will have to find another that will at least provide me with a scrip for it.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're drinking with anti depressants, the antidepressant may not be working.

I think the best course is to stop drinking, not finding another Dr.
Your current Dr seems to have your best interests at heart

D