Notices

Embarrassed

Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarrassed

I have been in the rooms for 2 years with 8 months the longest period of sobriety. The hardest part to me is step 1 powerlessness. With all of my ins and outs I might have been able to figure out the problem. I feel embarrassed to admit to anyone ( the rooms , therapists, drs , friends ) that I am an addict. When I say it out loud in the rooms I literally cringe. I know what pride is and for some reason I don't think it's flat out pride. I think it's the shame of being judged by strangers

Anybody have this experience or advise.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you admit it to yourself, that's enough, isn't it?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only one who has to know is yourself. Keep trying until you 'get it'.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To thine own self be true.

Are you lying to yourself? If not, then you have acquired painstaking honesty. That honesty is what you should lean on in all aspects of your recovery program.

Is it right or is it wrong?

If you have that, you can get all the rest if you want it. There is no time table, it is a journey not a race. Take it one day at a time.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lately in the rooms, when I'm about to share I just introduce myself with my first name only.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome MDS1212 to SR! While it may seem embarrassing, I like it much better than having people JUDGE me by the antics I did when I was drinking, now that my friend is EMBARRASSING! Glad you came here ,we don't judge, we just try to help and encourage! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well, if you are in a meeting I don't think anyone is going to judge you. whether or not you want to proclaim it out loud, I'm pretty sure everyone else knows why you are there anyway. the important thing is to keep working on your sobriety.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me the shame of being an active alcoholic was far more embarrassing than being known as a non-drinker ( or whatever you choose to call it ).

In AA rooms and here on SR you are among friends who have the exact same issues that you do, and we are all here for the exact same reason as you - there isn't a single thing that you could be potentially ashamed of in regards to addiction that doesn't apply to every single one of us.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My take is a diabetic isn't ashamed to have to avoid sugar, why should I be ashamed to have a genetic disorder that causes me problems when I drink?

Only shame is in not doing anything to fix it!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I admit it to myself, and that's enough for me. I don't feel the need to tell anyone, nor do I want to. Maybe one day I will, but for now it is between me and me.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Man, I hate reading a post like this. The stigma associated with the disease interfering with a person's ability to recover. Would you feel that embarrassment if you were dealing with diabetes? Because that's what it is - a disease that you need to manage, that's all. There is no shame in this - or there SHOULD be no shame. I really think the world is changing with respect to how addiction is perceived. In my world, it is pretty much recognized as a disease or disorder, no moral judgments or negative associations attached. Maybe your fears of being judged belong to public perceptions of the past, not the present. Check out the website: manyfaces1voice.org.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is embarrassing, i know the feeling. I’ve done very well in my life and don’t like losing at all. But the way I look at it you’re battling yourself…and your opponent is just so powerful...that's why you haven't conquered it yet. Keep it up.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just say you have a desire to stop drinking.