This Friday is my first Alanon meeting.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This Friday is my first Alanon meeting.

I'm so nervous. I've looked for meetings in my area, but there is only 1/week on Friday nights. So, I'm going to give it a try. I really hope that I don't see anyone who knows me. I've been online listening to some of the pod casts...anyways....thought I'd post to kind of hold myself accountable.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're going, paige. Good for you for doing some research first so you're more comfortable. You might want to look into getting some of the Alanon literature, too--it was useful to me in understanding how it is that Alanon helps people.

This thread might help you, too: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...anon-help.html

Please do post and let us know how things went!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am thinking of going to my first one tonight and also hope that I don't know anyone. I live in a very small town. I told AH this morning that I was going to do something when I woke up and he was still drinking from last night. He picked up his 5th 30 pack of beer this morning in just 9 days of drinking.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think we all worry about who we will see/who will see us when we first go to AlAnon. Let it go. Everyone there understands that concern. A few weeks ago, the younger sister of a woman I was best friends with all through my youth showed up at my meeting. I was a little concerned, but realized she likely had a similar concern. I haven't told a soul I saw her, and I'm sure she hasn't mentioned it either.
Good luck with your meeting, you'll be glad you went!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm already starting to get excited about the meeting, rather then nervous. I too, live in a small town, so chances are that someone will know me. One of my biggest issues has been "keeping up appearences" so to speak...so I guess it's like pride, not that I feel prideful at all...but that has to be it, right?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tlm56 View Post
I am thinking of going to my first one tonight and also hope that I don't know anyone. I live in a very small town. I told AH this morning that I was going to do something when I woke up and he was still drinking from last night. He picked up his 5th 30 pack of beer this morning in just 9 days of drinking.
I read your other post, I'm so sorry that you are going thru this. I hope you get to go to your meeting.