Notices

A friend in need!!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A friend in need!!

Hey Guys,

When I was growing up, I lived in group of houses, here we called it a park, others may call it a cull de sac, others may call it an estate. But it was only made up of about 20 houses, and naturally the kids of the young families that moved into these houses when they were built played and grew up together.

I was one of those kids, we had rivalries, we had adventures, we lived liked there was no tomorrow, we attended the same primary/elementary school and saw each other every day, until we went to high school, that is when we all went our separate ways.

But for 10 years, up until the age of 14 yrs old, I made some great friends, there was one girl who I particularly was attached to, at that age nothing went past friendship, everything remained purely innocent, and at the time looking back I guess we could have been much more had I have maintained our strong friendship into my teenage years, who knows, I’m only speculating.

Anyways, I kept a looser association with the friends I had made during this period and this girl I spoke to on and off for many years. Some of you may think this leading to a conclusion centred around love, but unfortunately this story doesn’t have a happy ending.

My friend’s father died last week, he was 62yrs old and it was a result of liver cancer, alcohol related, I thought it therefore important to share, he was having health problems and they took him into hospital to operate, when they discovered he was terminal with cancer.

I attended the wake and funeral, I reminisced with my friend, but I’m sure everything I was saying was irrelevant, she had lost her dad, what was I really gonna say that could ease that pain?

But we talked, and we laughed, after nearly 30 years things change, people grow apart, but what bonded us together 20/25 years ago, bonded us last week.

In my mind we were a family when we grew up, people go their separate ways, but we all came together to mourn her dad, we all stood there at the funeral, we had her back, none of us, her child hood friends were going to abandon her in her hour of need!!

We were all there, her childhood friends that now lived hundreds of miles away, came to be by her side!! a community offering support!!

Alcohol kills people!! . . . I experienced the harsh reality of this last week!! . . . NEVER underestimate the destruction alcohol can cause!!

Purple
Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How sad for you, PK. Sorry about what your friend is going through. I lost my dad a couple years ago and it's not a hole that anything can fill. It was great that the old gang was able to be there for here. A friend in need, indeed!