Notices

New and 7 Days Sober

Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and 7 Days Sober

Hello, I'm Briana. I'm a 35 year old graduate student. And I'm an alcoholic. Alcoholism runs in my family. My alcohol consumption would have been considered "normal" for our culture until about 6 months ago, when I began drinking a bottle of wine or more a night, or half a bottle of whiskey. The last few years have been emotionally difficult, and I finally gave in and started self-medicating to mask the pain. I've been trying to quit for a few months, and finally did one week ago. I've been crying a lot without my "friend" (my only friend) to comfort me, but it feels right. This is something I need to do to finally grow up. I'm concerned about slipping, but I'm also concerned about how to explain my abstinence from alcohol to others. I'm hoping I will be able to come here for comfort and advice.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Briana79 View Post
Hello, I'm Briana. I'm a 35 year old graduate student. And I'm an alcoholic. Alcoholism runs in my family. My alcohol consumption would have been considered "normal" for our culture until about 6 months ago, when I began drinking a bottle of wine or more a night, or half a bottle of whiskey. The last few years have been emotionally difficult, and I finally gave in and started self-medicating to mask the pain. I've been trying to quit for a few months, and finally did one week ago. I've been crying a lot without my "friend" (my only friend) to comfort me, but it feels right. This is something I need to do to finally grow up. I'm concerned about slipping, but I'm also concerned about how to explain my abstinence from alcohol to others. I'm hoping I will be able to come here for comfort and advice.

Hi and welcome to a great forum, this place is full of knowledgable and wonderful people sharing life stories, and all we strive is for a happy life free of addiction.

You will feel very comfortable here.
Wishing you well.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Brianna You've come to the right place. We're glad you're here.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

welcome hun

well done on the time u have done, u have done more than me. Im sry ur feeling bad though.

Plenty people will respond and give u great support xx
Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! I'm on the same journey as you, 7 days today. This place is great. Welcome!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First things first. Congrats o. 7 days and welcome. You'll get plenty of support and advice here.
Just start out by saying you need a break for now. Then exclaim I like how I feel and want tostay that way. I don't want to drink again. That's it. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Briana - welcome! You've made the correct decision. Take this day by day. Keep track of your success , it adds up. Soon you'll find internal strength from your success. You ca do this
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Briana You've made a great start by joining here on Day 7. I'm approaching 15 months now and have found the support on here to be crucial. It's good to have you aboard
Old 04-20-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Briana, good for you for deciding to change your life.

And, remember, you don't owe anyone an explanation as to whether or not you drink.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Briana as you can see you have come to a great place for support! I used to worry about explaining why I don't drink to people. I try to be honest and say well I used to drink to much so I stopped! You will be surprised how positively people respond. You gain a lot of respect from people when they see you succeeding with sobriety. All the best of luck to you : )
Old 04-20-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to meet you Briana. We all understand how you're feeling & we're here to help.

I used alcohol to help me cope with pain and anxiety - but I found out it only made things much worse. In the end I was completely dependent on it - it hadn't comforted me, it had destroyed me. You are wise to reclaim your life - you don't need it. We're glad you're here with us.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

Hi Briana - grad school can be an incubator for alcohol problems... often lonely and alienating, corroding the self esteem of the sunniest people, making it seem impossibly scary to reach out a hand of friendship to the outwardly confident people around you (many of whom are similarly hard on themselves, feeling friendless and seeking an outlet in self-destructive thoughts and behavior). It's great that you are seeing the problem with alcohol - I hope you can stay the course in sobriety and get all that you can from school. Keep checking in here!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Briana!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
painless

Wink

HOORAY FOR YOU!!!! God that was some good stuff and even though u only got a week clean and sober thats 7 awesome precious days that you earned and I know just how hard those 1st 7 days are... pat yourself on the back and fight the good fight... your worth saving and only u can save u... dont worry about what others wll think and say about your not wanting to drink. fugg em if they give u the slightest poop on it. find ne friends that dont drink and wont judge u on what u do. im proud of u and you gave me hope so be proud your damn self!!! keep posting so we all know your doing great. please keep coming back...