Notices

anyone have spending addiction

Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anyone have spending addiction

I have been alcohol free for over 20 years but switched my addiction to spending. Anyone have a problem with this?

Is there anywhere on this sight I can get support about my spending?

Lynn
Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lynn,

I think it's not uncommon to switch one addiction for another. We don't have any specific forum for spending addiction, but my thought would be that you need to get to the root of your problem. Stopping drinking or stopping spending is not enough on it's own. Are there other changes you could make in your life that would support you not spending?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

we do things for some kind of gratification. just like young children, our behavior obtains something....

can you figure out what you are getting out of spending? what is happening with things you are buying? are you hoarding? are you feeling ______?

I don't want those answers, but maybe you can journal to yourself and find out what is happening in your life to do this.

You aren't alone with the spending, but only you can identify what is really going on with it.

although you aren't gambling, in many respects you are, maybe gambler's anonymous? therapy? Something can help you and I know you aren't alone (not me, I have no real money to spend, but when I have cash, it suddenly disappears from my purse!)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Mine seems to have had a temporary reduction step in. For me I think it's sort of a reward, insecurity blanket, want but don't need item. Many times I can justify to my silly thinking process and feel some sort of gratification. I usually order something, get excited till UPS delivers it and at times don't even open it for a period of time and then don't remember ordering it. Then I blame it on the aging process and have to get honest with myself. AGAIN.

BE WELL