Notices

Nothing says Easter celebration quite like Moonshine!!

Old 04-20-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nothing says Easter celebration quite like Moonshine!!

I posted yesterday about how people resist the urge the drink at family gatherings. I love my family, but I have to think we are not your normal bunch! Here's how Easter "Saturday" went.

Someone brought Moonshine (yes Moonshine!) to my cousins house. Many of the crew were gobbling it up pretty good. My brother-in-law (a doctor) got so plastered that he tried to sleigh ride down steep hill of dried grass and ran over my 10 year old daughter. She was fine, but a little P.O'd. He then went to the garage and got some kind of lubricant and charcoal lighter fluid. His intention was to grease the bottom of the sled for speed, and also make a fire for a "cool effect". Needless to say, we stopped him before he would have lit an entire hill of dried grass on fire. He also got yelled at like a child by my cousin whose backyard it is. My 67 year old aunt (who's also my Godmother), who was also somewhat tanked did a head first belly slide down the hill for $100. She also did it two more times for no money, because she said it was fun! I actually tried it too, and I have to say, it was a lot of fun!!

Then after dinner the family went and played a card game called "Cards for Humanity". If you don't know it, it's basically pretty fun, but a really inappropriate game for kids. I had to drag my 17 year old away from the table and get into it with her since I wasn't comfortable with her playing it. Of course the "Moonshine Marauders" were telling me to lighten up. Other than that, and a lot of cursing in front of the kids by those who were too drunk to have their filters on, nothing else of significance happened. No fights or drama which sometimes occurs as well.

It was not easy, but I did manage not to drink (Day 90 today!). I have to admit yesterday was tougher than expected!! Also, other than one cousin who was unexpectedly supportive, I didn't have to tell anyone I was not drinking. For some reason, I'm not ready for that!

That's a little glimpse into my family! I love them, but they are a bit nuts!! Today we go to my wife's side of the family, where it's usually pretty mellow. Enjoy a sober Easter Sunday everyone!!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on keeping your head and hitting 90 days

D
Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats on 90 days. enjoy the mellow easter
Old 04-20-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Loved hearing about your family! They sound like a hoot! Congrats on 90 days!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Congratulation on 90 days. That's awesome.

PS. I would really like to be adopted into your family. I don't drink either but would really enjoy the laughs!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 90 days BL!

My family is similar (though I can't recall ever having an Everclear Easter celebration), and I had to keep my distance in early sobriety. It gets easier over time, and they may begin to see your sobriety as normal/part of who you are. It takes time - keep up the good work!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
PS. I would really like to be adopted into your family. I don't drink either but would really enjoy the laughs!!
Yeah LoveMeNow, they are actually pretty fun sometimes! I will officially adopt you into my family so I have another sober person to chill with at family events. Next one is July 4th, where a few years ago my brother in law (the doctor) ran out in front of everyone in a Borat thong bathing suit. It was ridiculous!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Betterlife1 View Post
Yeah LoveMeNow, they are actually pretty fun sometimes! I will officially adopt you into my family so I have another sober person to chill with at family events. Next one is July 4th, where a few years ago my brother in law (the doctor) ran out in front of everyone in a Borat thong bathing suit. It was ridiculous!!!

Ok, but can we make a video? We won't call it blackmail or anything but I think we could probably make some good money off of him. He is a keeper. Lol

P.S. Thanks for adopting me. I am low on family members now.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's awesome...the 90 days that is! My family doesn't drink, instead we all hold our breaths and grit our teeth while my Mom berates her husband, he passively aggressively responds, my brother exaggerates and dominates the conversation, my sister does the same without the exaggeration (add rambling)and my Dad complains about his health while denying any responsibility and refusing to do as the doctor says.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LooseGrip View Post
That's awesome...the 90 days that is! My family doesn't drink, instead we all hold our breaths and grit our teeth while my Mom berates her husband, he passively aggressively responds, my brother exaggerates and dominates the conversation, my sister does the same without the exaggeration (add rambling)and my Dad complains about his health while denying any responsibility and refusing to do as the doctor says.
That stinks LooseGrip! Yeah, I think most families have some baggage. I know my post was kind of lighthearted, but with my crew, it always seems someone is mad at someone else. There is also a lot of talking behind peoples backs, etc.. But when push comes to shove, we help each other out and ultimately stick together. I guess that's what its all about!!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for the Easter Day laughs, guys ! The chuckles felt great ! Have a Happy one, everybody!