Notices

Its here again

Old 04-19-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its here again

So my girlfriend has gone away to see friends, my family has gone away too. Now I'm left on my own with money to spend, a house to myself and three days off work with nothing to do.

I can feel the tingling, excited feeling that usually precedes a drinking binge and the memories of all the pain and misery that drinking causes is being replaced my images of happy drinking and fun times that I've had although I'm sure these never happened.

I can hear groups of people walking past my house, Happy and laughing. On there way to the town or city to drink in bars and have fun. Although I know what the outcome will be I can't think about anything else but joining them.

I'm even trying to limit the damage by waiting until the shops are almost shut before I load up so I don't have the option of buying more (or round two as my helpful local shop owner calls it)

I tried to fight the first urges by over eating last night. Then I went out and bought cigarettes to try and kill the urges but that hasn't helped.

Its all I can think about at the minute.

Anyone else love the holidays?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honestly, when I've had huge cravings, I've just taken myself off to bed to sleep through it sometimes.

I've also gripped my sofa so hard, clinging on for dear life, because I knew if I stood up, I'd go straight out and buy alcohol.

Staying sober, keeping that AV at bay in the early days is hard. Really play the tape forward, how will you feel tomorrow? Disappointed, hungover....potentially craving more alcohol? Don't take the first drink, get yourself to bed if that's what it takes!

Be well.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it sounds crazy, but ice cream helps. I never want to drink when I eat ice cream. Maybe take yourself to a good movie. Eat lots of popcorn, enjoy being sober. Think about how good you will feel in the morning, no foggy head. Hold on, one day at at time you can do this. Come here and post when you need. We are all here for you.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Fast forward your excited thoughts about drinking to the reality of it all. The guilt, the shame, the hangover. You can stay sober if you want to badly enough. There's a lot of support here. I hope we can help you stay sober for good this time.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The fear of where the binge will lead is sometimes the only thing that keeps me from picking up. I've white knuckled through many days with only that fear to keep me sober.

Think it through.

Scott
Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

or find a meeting so you aren't totally alone for an hour.....
Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had some bad experiences with AA