Notices

New here

Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi I am new here. I have been dealing with depression and just started getting therapy. My therapist told me that alcohol can be related to depression. I drink half bottle of red wine each night. The big bottle. I don't think I can stop drinking everynight. I have never seen myself as having a problem nor did I ever think it has anything to do with depression.

Mary
Old 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by joey0530 View Post
Hi I am new here. I have been dealing with depression and just started getting therapy. My therapist told me that alcohol can be related to depression. I drink half bottle of red wine each night. The big bottle. I don't think I can stop drinking everynight. I have never seen myself as having a problem nor did I ever think it has anything to do with depression.

Mary

Hi Mary, and welcome.
I think none of us thought we could stop drinking everynight to be honest, I certainly thought it would be nigh on impossible to come home after work and not start drinking heavily, but the mind is a strong muscle and if you want it bad enough you will find a way.
Good luck and keep posting it helps more than you would think when things seem tough.
All the best.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

Well Alcohol is a depression, I'm sure you know by now.
In drinking days I woke up every morning with an impending doom feeling.

My mood would be ok when I had my first drinks, then downhill from there.

No one can say you have a problem other than yourself.

But you are here, so I guess you are sitting on the fence a bit.

Why not make a list of the positive things Alcohol brings in your life, followed by the negatives. One list will be longer than the other if you are honest with yourself.

Take care
Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

stop drinking and see how everything changes.....you'll know how much alcohol was affecting you.....
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Mary, to SR. Wine was my poison and I couldn't imagine life without it. But it is possible to leave it behind you and be happy.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am seeing a therapist. I can't stop wine. Even if I'm sick with a cold, I need at least one glass before bed. How on earth do you stop? I crave the taste. I do wake up feeling doomed too. I yell at my kids. I'm angry all the time. I drink because I feel depressed and when I'm not depressed, I use wine as an excuse to celebrate something lol I find anything. When we are out at a restaurant, I drink before we leave the house, then I drink more at the restaurant. It puts me in a good mood. I am curious what the therapists do to help you quit.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Joey, they dont do anything to make you quit.....you quit because you want to.....I remember the taste, very well. There is no one who can tell you that you have to quit, frankly its just adds to the need of drinking more, the Charlie Brown's teacher effect. Ultimately you have to want it....you mentioned fattening....yep and its only going to get worse....when I was in my 20's maybe a lb or two, 30's 5lbs....just age and metabolism right?.....39....40lbs later....its just not healthy......its not, now heres the thing.....since then I lost 42 lbs...220 to 178....the compliments, albeit not overnight, are a real boost to keep you going....sounds vain and it is, we all have souls and we all are deep, but we all love compliments too. I am not a woman, but I have listened to enough to know that fitting into a dress 2 sizes lower is a BIG deal. Its a superficial argument, reading your posts I dont think you have seen the crystal ball of what awaits, so with that would love to give you the other tangibles that exist for you.....very low hanging fruit, no pun intended