Notices

Day 60 reached!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Day 60 reached!

Day 60.

Feb 17 I remember sitting in this very same chair watching my weekly WWE wrestling show, it was a Monday. I remember I had an empty bottle of "olde English 800" on the table right next to me, i had just finished downing a Heineken 24 oz and the empty green bottle was on the floor right next to my chair. It was 8 pm or so, I don't know what triggered it........ but out of nowhere i suddenly thought to myself "I have to stop this". What followed was nearly 2 weeks of absolute HELL on Earth in terms of physical and bodily symptoms, but i weathered the storm and thankfully i am still here alive and well

I feel at this point that the worst of the physical symptoms of withdrawal are behind me, thank goodness. The first two weeks seemed very bleak to me, i felt horrible and almost made a trip to the ER....... my will-power hanged by a thread for a few days. It wasnt all bad however; by happen-stance during a random Google search in the second week i stumbled upon SR.

I am feeling better and better the last 8 days or so, I think my starting to get more consistent sleep is making a BIG difference. I went from 1-2 hours of sleep a night in weeks 1-2, to 3-4 hours of sleep a night in weeks 3-5, to 4.5-5 hours of sleep a night in week 6, to more recently....... 5.5-6 hours of sleep average a night the last 2 weeks.

In all, i would say that virtually all of the withdrawal symptoms have dissipated EXCEPT the sleep part. I still have yet to achieve the "standard" 7-9 hours that sober people get without the help of sleep pills, but judging by the above observations it should be coming back soon...... im not holding my breath for that however. With regards to PAWS, i havent really noticed anything of the sort..... or perhaps it is still too early?

What has been keeping me down most is the boredom of sober life, there have been a few days where i felt a little lightheaded and a little "spacy". But when i started doing something which i found entertaining i noticed that this feeling went away almost right away....... so i ruled out PAWS. I looked it up online and simple boredom seems to be able to produce a lot of similar symptoms like lack of energy, slow thinking, trouble concentrating.

I should also note that this is my first time out, and with any luck it will also be my last

I have a pretty strong mind so when i get a craving, when i drive by the liquor store i am usually able dismiss such thoughts. I won't lie....... those nefarious and tempting "wouldnt it be nice to have a couple ice-cold ones right about now? look how nice the weather is!" type thoughts do still pop up from time to time, so i will need to stay vigilant.

I look forward to day 90
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, grubby; 60 days is fantastic.

Maybe you can find a new interest to alleviate the boredom - start a new activity or renew interest in an old hobby; volunteer.

You are doing great; again, congratulations, grubby.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! keep pushing through!!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! Great job!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats! Keep on keeping on!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is Great Grubby, keep up the fight it's a good ride the longer you stay on it! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-18-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

60 days - that's so wonderful Grubby. Very proud of you.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Day 60.
congratulations
this is the second 60 days sober that I have seen today
a Lady in AA today also celebrated 60 days

great for both of you

MM
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job Grubby
Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob
congratulations
this is the second 60 days sober that I have seen today
a Lady in AA today also celebrated 60 days

great for both of you

MM
I should also add, I have been doing this on my own as i mentioned in that one poll i have on here somewhere. No AA, programs, or anything like that, stupid in early recovery...... I know, but i seem to have a good handle on things now that my sleep is starting to come back

Only thing left now is to not drink under ANY circumstances, time will take care of the rest
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Today

What has been keeping me down most is the boredom of sober life, there have been a few days where i felt a little lightheaded and a little "spacy". But when i started doing something which i found entertaining i noticed that this feeling went away almost right away....... so i ruled out PAWS. I looked it up online and simple boredom seems to be able to produce a lot of similar symptoms like lack of energy, slow thinking, trouble concentrating.
Oh my gosh, this is happening to me too!!! (46 days out)

I have no idea why but it feels like I just dosed on my meds that make me space out except I'm not taking them anymore. It's very bizarre. It has to be something to do with alcohol recovery - maybe something in our brain? I didn't think about boredom. Today it happened when I was standing and working so I don't know...
Old 04-18-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 60 days! It's great that things continue to improve for you!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Grubby, it sounds like you're doing really well.

And, there's no need to be bored. What kinds of things do you like doing - sports, pets, music, movies, reading, hobbies? I hope you can find something that you are passionate about and get involved. For me, volunteer work was a life-saver.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on sixty days sober!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Grubby, 60 days is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Grubby!!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrtaultions Grubby - I hope the sleep improves soon.

I'll back what Anna said too - there's no need to be bored - think of some things to do, and do them

D
Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Excellent Grubby! That is a FANTASTIC milestone and I look forward to hearing how you are feeling after 90 days!

You mentioned you were bored and fighting the urge to drink so I need to ask....

Is there a reason why AA is out of the question? I really think if you went to a Chip meeting in your area and picked up your 60 day Chip that it would help you. I know that whenever I get a craving I just pick up my 18 month chip and rub it for a while and soon, the craving is gone.

I am not a champion of AA by any means but I have been attending meetings for about 3 months and hearing speakers talk about their experiences in the fight to say sober is good reinforcement to keep going.

We also have meetings every tue and fri and 9EST. Just click on the Chat Room button above and then click on the door next to where it says Meeting Room in the yellow field on the right side of the page. Hope to see you there later!

Congratulations on 60 days!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good going Grubby, ,,..

For me , with the absence of drugs and alcohol, I don't mind being a little bored sometimes.

Like pressure washing, it can get tedious , and vacuuming, ...or waxing the truck,
boring. lo

Taking a coffee break, I'm lovin' me some "boredom"
Old 04-18-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

......I am feeling better and better the last 8 days or so, I think my starting to get more consistent sleep is making a BIG difference. I went from 1-2 hours of sleep a night in weeks 1-2, to 3-4 hours of sleep a night in weeks 3-5, to 4.5-5 hours of sleep a night in week 6, to more recently....... 5.5-6 hours of sleep average a night the last 2 weeks.
Congratulations and thank you for the post...especially the part I've quoted. I'm on Week 7 with things going well EXCEPT the sleep issue. It's comforting to see someone else's sleep patterns are very much like mine. There is improvement but it's ever so slow especially compared to some people who only report sleep issues in the first little while. Right now I'm around 4.5 to 5.5 hours per night. If I go to bed at midnight I'm sure to be awake sometime between 4:30 and 5:30.