Notices

Need to be pointed in the right direction

Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to be pointed in the right direction

I joined SR a little over a week ago and am really willing to make an effort to quit drinking. Like my recent cycle has been going I was 8 days sober then something happened (It doesnt really matter what it was...my brain does not need much convincing to have a drink). I was planning on going to some meetings...but every time one was about to start in my area I found something "better" to do. In early recover I have found it really hard to convince myself that it is something I need to do. I consider myself to be somewhat religious so the spiritual aspect of AA doesnt bother me.

Can some of you give your experience of what type of meetings helped the most early on and ones that I would look forward to going to. So far I have one meeting that I guess I would consider my home group but I havent been back in a few months.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's the BIG secret... just go to a meeting... ANY meeting! They have a funny way of usually being exactly what you NEED when you do. This will serve you well.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to AA meetings, but if it's something that you think will work for you, then give it a chance.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Yep, there is a secret to making a successful entry into the fellowship of AA. And yes I am being sarcastic. I remember being new, scared to *@#$ because I did not yet know that Alcohol was NOT the way to tame fear, so that was how I did it. I digress, I was scared, I didn't know squat about AA or recovery so why wouldn't I be scared!But I was also a beaten, poor excuse for a person, I'd reached MY bottom. I was powerless over Alcohol and knew it; my life was unmanageable.
So, I went to AA, and before I knew it I was feeling like it was home, right where I belonged. I was with others who are exactly like me, different, yet all the same. Where else could I find this, a warm, welcoming gathering of friends who all share a common bond.
So the secret is: just go, give it 6+ tries, don't be judgmental, don't let your fear create excuses. Be alive, awake, present and mindful as to your purpose and that of AA. You'll learn it's really no big deal, there's no cult, no conversion, no coercion, no hidden agenda or purpose.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

One more hint about AA...take what you need, and leave the rest