Notices

How to get sobriety momentum

Old 04-17-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to get sobriety momentum

I'm 18 or 19 days sober I lost count.
Anyways I've read some post about how people came to there first day of sobriety, some where planed quit dates, others were legally enforced (incarceration) some had loved ones intervene . for me it just happened . I wanted to get sober (was drinking daily)but couldn't find a way out , then circumstances lined up and some how I didn't drink for a day , once I get 1 day I'm gool to go till I purposely choose to drink, last time my sobriety lasted 2 weeks , the time before that 9 years . just wondering if anyone has any insight as to how we get to the point where we get sober? I can't recall anything being difrent about that day
Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I think I had just had enough and realised, finally, that one or a few would never be enough xxxxx
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People that stay sober long term AND enjoy their lives had to change inside (personality) which takes tangible work.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, it was making the decision not to try to hide it anymore. Three times in one week I drank openly in front of my DH. Once I acknowledged I couldn't stop, and that my behavior was insane, it was natural to make the next right step. Just quit before I no longer have the privilege of choice left in me.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got to the point where I was so sick of being hungover and ill all the time that my desire to quit overcame my fear of stopping.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first 2 years of going to AA ruined my drinking. Previously I didn't know what I didn't know. Then a belly full of booze and a head full of AA didn't function well together and I got full of shame and scared because of all the missing in action causalities happening at meetings. This was long before the internet and horrors were seen first hand.

Finally I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and started to work the program, like it or not. Many things, me, got better and continue to.

BE WELL
Old 04-18-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I realized that I was facing 3 possible and inevitable outcomes:

Death
Prison
Insanity

Logic dictated that I could not control my drinking, therefore above items scared me.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, after a scary withdrawal left me no doubt that I was an alcoholic. I actualy knew it before that because it was so obvious, but that clinched it.
I, too, got sick of the viscious hangovers.
It's a proccess. I had a moment of clarity and haven't picked up that first drink for over three years just by remembering the misery I was going through.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LDT

My experience and vivid memory of the 'Kindling Effect' is what keeps me sober.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just came to realize that I like myself a lot better when I am sober than I do when I am drinking. Once I came to that realization the solution was simple: simple but not easy.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's hard to get past the first week. Congrats.
I had about a year and relapsed for about 4 months doing it on and off. I don't know what happened this time around but I'm glad. I guess I realized I was going to screw up the progress I made if I continued. I would go 2-3 days and go back out. Finally made it to day 5, and figured might as well keep going.