Notices

Back to step 1

Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to step 1

Another relapse. Plan to write in my journal around step 1, maybe also 2 and 3 today. Anyone have any worksheets/guides they've used for the steps? Or just the BB/12x12?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

http://www.royy.com/step1.pdf

Try this.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The best "Guide" would be a sponsor who can teach you
the steps she worked as outlined in the first 164 Pages of the BB.
Self teaching doesn't work well with textbooks, which the BB is.
When you went to school your teachers didn't give you a list
of textbooks and send you home, you had to go to class and be
taught the meat & potatoes of the texts.
What you need to stop relapsing is a psychic change sufficient
to recover from alcoholism as a result of completing all the steps
with a person who has done them.
God speed.............
Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I concur with UM...get a good sponsor. He/she will help you with the step and also help provide a saftey net during the early weeks/months. It took me six months to get my first, second and third step with tons of work. Yeah, I said I had achieved them in the first month but I was not being totally honest.

I find most of us, myself included want and easy fix to this probelm. The problem is that is the mindset that got most of us into this mess to begin with. Herein is the psychic change that I found I needed.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

my sponsor had a discussion with me on the first 3 steps then we at once moved into 4, 5 6, & 7.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I like Dr Bobs story which throws another light on this. You will recall that Bob did not get sober first time around. One of his problems was that he did not understand what it meant to be an alcoholic. The powerlessness thing. He still thought he could pick and choose what he did.

He took all the steps as they then were, but refused to make his amends. He got drunk. He made his amends, then never drank again.

This relentless return to the first step, then 2,3,4 again, to me misses the point. In the same way that step 4 is the action of step 3, all steps are the action from step one and two.

It comes back to powerlessness, lack of choice. The reservation that Bob had was that he did not need to make amends, he thought he had a choice in that. When he accepted that he must do his amends, and actually did it, he accepted step one in its entirety.

When someone slipped it was the practice to continue to work with the individual to find out why. The common causes in the book are around steps 4, 5, and 9. Incomplete housekeeping. Holding something back in step five, for example, indicates the candidate thinks he can, so is not powerless on that one point. Completing the housecleaning properly shows acceptance of step one and true powerlessness.

Going back to the start and working all other steps completely again and again, but holding on to that one thing, will always bring the same result. It's the one thing that's causing the failure, and that's what we should be looking for.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lilac

It genuinely only helps to have someone who can guide you through this, preferably using the Big Book as a guide.

Have done many steps ones based on reams of writing, about powerlessness, and unmanageability and the manifestation of both in active alcoholism. What I actually needed was something very much more straightforward, that didn't mean months of ruminating on one step....and then another a few months later...and so on ad infinitum.

The thing that helped me most? Having a sponsor who knew how to guide me through the BB to do the steps as laid out there, and do so swiftly. Genuinely, nothing has helped me more in recognising obsession as it applies to alcohol, and increasingly, where those bugging thoughts can crop up elsewhere. It is truly liberating, and can only recommend you do the same.

Wish you well. Huge hug to you. This can be overcome, and we can only do it together.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's good to see you again. Welcome back.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
This relentless return to the first step, then 2,3,4 again, to me misses the point. In the same way that step 4 is the action of step 3, all steps are the action from step one and two.
Yes, totally agree. Need to get to the housecleaning part and do it thoroughly!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pipefish View Post
Lilac

It genuinely only helps to have someone who can guide you through this, preferably using the Big Book as a guide.

Have done many steps ones based on reams of writing, about powerlessness, and unmanageability and the manifestation of both in active alcoholism. What I actually needed was something very much more straightforward, that didn't mean months of ruminating on one step....and then another a few months later...and so on ad infinitum.
My last 2 sponsors (both several years ago, I haven't had one here, since there are VERY few and sometimes no women at meetings here) had me "work" step 1 to death. I ended up hating myself more and relapsing. They kept asking why. I didn't know. The more I did step 1 (and not get to the others), the more I hated myself. It was miserable. I've stayed away from AA for the past year and much of the previous year because it has taken me a while to love myself again and I am afraid of going back to that place of self-hatred that I got through spending months and pages of writing about all the examples of my powerlessness that led to depression and sometimes suicidal thoughts.
Ok, remember the powerlessness and unmanageability but get to the housecleaning pronto to avoid relapse! I can do this...if I can find a female around here to be a sponsor!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can limit your search to a Step Sponsor. That way you simply
say "I am seeking a Step Sponsor to take me through the steps as
prescribed in the BB. Have you done them that way ? How long did it
take you to finish them all ?"

Their answer will tell you all you need to know. If it is not
what you are looking for just say thanks and move on to the next
person. Also, ask HP to direct you to the teacher you need before
you start your search. Your prayer will be answered........
Old 04-18-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UncleMeat69 View Post
You can limit your search to a Step Sponsor. That way you simply
say "I am seeking a Step Sponsor to take me through the steps as
prescribed in the BB. Have you done them that way ? How long did it
take you to finish them all ?"

Their answer will tell you all you need to know. If it is not
what you are looking for just say thanks and move on to the next
person. Also, ask HP to direct you to the teacher you need before
you start your search. Your prayer will be answered........
That is the first time I ever heard that advice and it is awesome! Thank you!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Another relapse. Plan to write in my journal around step 1, maybe also 2 and 3 today. Anyone have any worksheets/guides they've used for the steps? Or just the BB/12x12?
What is your understanding of steps 1, 2 and 3?

I got a great guide for you, its called the Alcoholics Anonymous book, aka The Big Book. Start at the front, go to page 164. There is a reason why 50% of the book is on the first few steps. It might be quite important to understand, but in order to stay sober on a day by day basis, action and more action is required, finishing all 12 steps. Then passing it onto others.

All the knowledge in the world will never keep an alcoholic sober.

All the meetings in the world will never keep an alcoholic sober.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In the reality of my truth, I found my big book and started at the beginning. I sat with my book, a pen and paper and began with a new start.

Me and God. (and some excellent AA members that have recorded directions)!

I read, prayed, wrote, and listened.

I followed the words and wrote out inventory and prayed the prayers that were suggested. I follow the suggestions in the pages of this book daily.

Lilac, you are no newcomer. You have been at this for awhile.

The only one that stops us from progressing through the steps is us.

Are you willing to do all the steps with your book and a pen and paper, and a new level of willingness and an open mind?

I heard Sandy B. mention the idea that we try this one time...one complete attempt, and compare this new way of life with our old one.

We must finish what we start...and that was the hardest part for me. I want the easier, softer, way. I'm lazy.

Matt, this thread last entry was April. Hoping to hear from Lilac soon.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maybe you should understand step 1 first.
Go over step 1 as its laid out in the Big Book with your sponsor.
Just 43 pages out of 103. Kind of important stuff.
Obsession of the mind we can deal with.
Allergy of the body we can not deal with.
Cravings start once you take that first drink, and cravings get stronger with each drink you take. This is the foundation and understanding of step 1. If you dont know this information, time to do a 2 on 1, or maybe do a big book study or listen to Joe and Charlie tapes.