Notices

sleepless nights

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sleepless nights

Like many others I drank a few nights a week or sometimes not at all, but eventually I found myself back in blackout mode. I was drinking about a bottle of red wine on the "moderate" nights and at least two bottles plus a few shots of vodka on the blackout nights. I stopped last week. Last blackout night was Thursday and then I drank 3 glasses Friday. Question.... I can't fall asleep and when I do I have baddreams that I am drunk and didnt mean to be. My ears are ringing a bit. I'm shakey. This might sound stupid but I didn't think I was drinking enough and consistently enough to have these withdrawal symptoms. How long should I expect this to last? My AV is telling me to take a xanax which I haven't taken in over a week.... I've taken them on and off for about a year... But I know that's just a temporary fix.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I recommend you seeing your doctor ASAP and be honest about what is happening as this can be a very serious period for you recovery and life.

BE WELL
Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's different for everybody. I was an every night heavy vodka drinker.
For me I went about 3 sleepless nights before I finally passed out.
Then I still had insomnia occasionally after that. And sweat like I just ran a marathon.
After a week things got much better.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second IOAA2 about seeing a Doctor, the safest route that will answer many of your questions.

About the sleep patterns, it is very common in early recovery to have strange dreams or nightmares. Your subconscious have been suppressed for probably a long time, so your brain processing all at once is pretty intense.

But the good news is that by not drinking, it gets better.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Made it through the day and feeling better. Hoping hoping hoping i sleep tonight.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

we drank too much on a regular basis, it takes time for our bodies to learn to be normal again as alcohol invades the entire body.....

give time time, you drank on friday and today is only wednesday......
Old 04-17-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Slept last night. Not great but much better than previous nights. Thanks for all the support.