Courage To Change 04/16/14

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 04/16/14

I came to Al-Anon in so much pain that I quicklyopened my arms and my heart to whatever the program and its members were willing to show me. What I discovered is that what I go through in life is not as important
as how I interpret the experience. In other words, I have a choice about my attitude. For instance, I always expected my happiness to come
through others, especially my alcoholic parents. I spent most of my life waiting for them to show their love and approval in a way I could understand. They didn’t, and I felt deprived and unlovable as a result.
Al-Anon has helped me to interpret my situation differently.
Through working the Steps, I have learned that I am lovable, regardless of what a parent or anyone else thinks. I can either feel sorry for what I have missed or I can appreciate the chance to learn to love and appreciate
myself. I do some of both, but today I know I have a choice.

Today’s Reminder

It’s time to stop waiting for others to take care of me. The only person who can love me the way I want to be loved is me.
“Gradually I accepted the fact that my ‘if only’ wishes were not about to come true. But I also learned that I could be happy even if they didn’t.”

Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service !