Notices

New here and looking for support

Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and looking for support

Ok I'm new to this whole thing, I do have a addiction support group through my church that I go to that meets once a week, but feel I need more support especially early in the recovery process. I figured with the internet being at the tips of my fingers it would be another good place to start. Not sure if I'm in the right place. I have a few questions, is this a group for just alcoholics or also other drugs? How do these types of forums work? I'm on day 7 off my opiate addiction. Should I look for a sponsor? And how would I go about doing so? I really want to be done with this part of my life and keep going this time. I also here that you should take any mood altering things, I'm wondering what that means for someone like be who takes antidepressant, anti anxiety, sleeping aids and my add medications. Even though I have only had problems with opiates (Percocet for back pain and then starting needing more and more, and would run out of my medication so started using suboxone in between doses) So what Does this mean I need to stop my other medications? Or should I wait till I get further with my opiate addiction?

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,!

I'm into the Alcoholic realms of addiction myself, but other here will be able to advise and support on opiate related issues.

Glad you joined us!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you getting Suboxone from your doctor? He can answer so many of those questions as all of our situations are different. Personally, my doctor told me to not take any opiates or mood altering drugs such as Xanax. We cant give medical advice only share our personal experiences. Your doctor would be the best person to ask!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AveryMarie View Post
Are you getting Suboxone from your doctor? He can answer so many of those questions as all of our situations are different. Personally, my doctor told me to not take any opiates or mood altering drugs such as Xanax. We cant give medical advice only share our personal experiences. Your doctor would be the best person to ask!
I have talked to my doctors, he wanted me to stay on suboxone but I couldn't do it anymore. I have not had any subs or percs in 7 days now. The withdrawals come in waves. I have however been still taking my other medication prescribe to me, but I know some people feel that anything even prescribe if not your drug of choice is not being sober. I can kind of understand where people come from but I just don't feel the same way given my past mental breakdown history, that I should stop taking these medications until I have this other problem under control.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about what other people think about your recovery.

Talk to your dr about the medications you are prescribed and the two of you can decide whether or not you continue to take them.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR IzaBunny

I have a few questions, is this a group for just alcoholics or also other drugs?
This is the Newcomers Forum - it's open to everyone: alcoholics, addicts, and the people who love them.

How do these types of forums work?
Pretty much how this thread is unfolding. You post - we reply

I'm on day 7 off my opiate addiction. Should I look for a sponsor? And how would I go about doing so? I really want to be done with this part of my life and keep going this time.
The 12 step model (AA NA etc) have sponsors. The best way to find one is to attend a local 12 step meeting.

I also here that you should take any mood altering things, I'm wondering what that means for someone like be who takes antidepressant, anti anxiety, sleeping aids and my add medications. Even though I have only had problems with opiates (Percocet for back pain and then starting needing more and more, and would run out of my medication so started using suboxone in between doses) So what Does this mean I need to stop my other medications? Or should I wait till I get further with my opiate addiction?
Please don't stop your medications without speaking to your Dr first.

AA and NA members here can help you better with the official stance on prescribed meds, but for me, that's a matter between me and my Dr

D
Old 04-16-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor and I agree you should speak with your doctor before stopping anything else. .. my experience with opiate withdrawal is it comes with high levels of anxieties and depression if you all ready have issues with those I don't think it would be a good idea to stop. .. As far as what is considered full recovery. ...I think taking your other meds as prescribed will help you be successful in all of this. ..You should be done with most of it.... At least the physical stuff.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you IzaBunny. This place helped me find the courage to change my life. It meant so much to know I wasn't alone anymore.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am a recovered alcoholic who takes prescribed antidepressants and antianxiety meds. Never have I felt that they threaten my sobriety. My doctor put me on them for good reason and they help me a lot.

Welcome to the family.