Notices

Mother of heroin addict needs help

Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mother of heroin addict needs help

Hello, our 25 y daughter relapsed again. This time she was in treatment out of state. She was in phase 2 of program in halfway house. We had just been there for family weekend program and she looked wonderful. Now we don't know where she is. She has no phone and no money. The treatment center asked her to leave or go back to detox and she left. It's been 6 wks. We don't know what to do. We are fearful that this is the end for her. She had been doing well and we don't know what happened. How can we help her? Do we go look for her. She is out of state. Where do addicts go? What shoulder do to help her. She has no phone. No money that we know of. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Emmys, Have You considered Filing a Missing Person's Report?

AL
Old 04-16-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We were About to do that when half way house called to say she pickedchildren up her things after week 2. We don't know what to do now. My husband wants to go try and find her himself. What happens with missing persons report? We have been afraid to get her involved with police cause we hoping she will surface and seek treatment on her own. Is this unrealistic? Should we give up? Should we file missing persons? We don't know..
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would file the report anyway , even if you look for her on your own . To easy for her to get in with the wrong people on her own with no communication or money. Godspeed on finding her and trying to get her back on track! Praying for your reconnection with her. Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too would file a missing person report.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with the advice to file a missing persons report. Understand your reluctance to get the police involved but we all know the seriousness of opiate addiction.

I'm sorry you're in this situation, there's so much support for you here. Keeping you and your daughter in my thoughts.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are so confused. Our therapist says not to rescue her again. If we file missing persons or go look for her, Is that a rescue ? Are we not letting her have the chance to hit bottom. We want her to get well and we haven't been able to help her through previous rescues.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Emmys. I'm brand new to the forum and I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts. I have no experience with heroin so I'm sorry that I can't offer too much guidance. I don't think that filing the missing person report is rescuing her. You just want to make sure that she's okay. I see nothing but a caring parent there. I really wish you all the best in locating your daughter. Best wishes
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
painless

Smile

This is only my opinion but i would call the police and file a missing persons report in that state. Check all the local jails and hospitals. Chances are she could very well be in jail which at times can be a saving grace for some. sometimes sobriety must be forced upon others to where jail might make her think more then twice before ever using again. This is a life long disease im sorry to say with no cure at all other then the person wanting a better life for them and their loved ones. I know its not right for me to say ill never use again but im trying my hardest to work my program and im finding myself more and more everyday and its only been a lil over a month that im now clean and sober. Only thing that bothers me terribly is that the one woman I love thinks she cannot ever trust in me ever again which is so far from the real truth. people change all the time and sometimes it takes a tragedy like hurting someone u love more then your own life to realize what u need to do and keep doing to gain trust and restore love. I pray you find your daughter and that right now God will hear my prayers for her and return her safely to you. best to you ... Painless
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
painless

Please God... Help this loving mother find her daughter safe and with the power of your holy spirit please send an angel to watch over both the daughter and the family that loves her. Please bring the daughter to safety in anyway you see best. help them to heal and stay clean. In Jesus Christs name. AMEN...
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Emmys - it's your daughter so it's about what you feel comfortable doing. I have trouble with the rock bottom theory, because things can always get worse. Death is the only real rock bottom. If it was my daughter I would do everything to try to find her, and I don't think you should in any way feel guilty (because of what a therapist says) if that is what you decide to do.

Why don't you file the missing persons report and go look for her? You could start with the center and ask them if she was close to any of the other patients that also dropped out. If one of those patients is local to the area that might be a good place to start. In addition to the hospitals and jails you can check with shelters in the area.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Emmys View Post
We were About to do that when half way house called to say she pickedchildren up her things after week 2. We don't know what to do now. My husband wants to go try and find her himself. What happens with missing persons report? We have been afraid to get her involved with police cause we hoping she will surface and seek treatment on her own. Is this unrealistic? Should we give up? Should we file missing persons? We don't know..
I don't understand the first sentence. She picked up her children from the half-way house? How many children and what are their ages? If it were me, I would definitely file a missing persons report because of the children involved. She is an adult and can do whatever she wants but I would do my best to locate the kids.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am an ex-heroin addict myself. Your daughter's situation resembles what many young heroin addicts do. I agree with the user that said check the hospitals. As an addict, if I couldn't get my fix, I would try to get pain pills by doctor shopping. I am sorry for your situation. I will say that I got clean because my folks gave me absolutely nothing other than a roof over my head and food. Treatment is GREAT, but I used it as a new place to find my next fix. If your daughter feels "comfortable" in treatment (not necessarily getting better), then she might be manipulating the recovery process without any intention to quit. There are indicators, but they are subtle. I hate to say this, but you have to pay attention to a heroin addict constantly for signals of false contentment because it is our way of masking the true intention to manipulate, steal and use.