Mental health day!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental health day!

I took a mental health day today and finally went to a domestic violence center. The second I walked in the building I felt safe and calm. Normally with my therapist I felt really anxious but I think because this was for a specific issue it was different. The woman I met with was really nice and easy to talk to. She's setting me up with a case worker to help me work through my emotions and it's once a week which is what I really need because I need to get a new therapist (my old one left) and that appointment isn't for two months. I'm also going to the support group run by the same woman. I'm looking forward to meeting people who have been through similar experiences. I went to one Alanon meeting and I didn't really feel a connection with it and I think this one will be better for what I went through. Now I'm at a bookstore that I spend a lot of time at. This morning and afternoon it was rainy and windy and I stayed in bed which made me really depressed and anxious so a friend is picking me up later and I'm tagging along with her to the grocery store just to be social. I feel like this mental health day was more productive than the ones I used to take when I was with my XAB. I would spend the day crying and alone and hopeless, so yay for progress!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for looking out for you, meggy!
Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's such a huge step to take. Well done, so pleased you are finding a way through.

:hugs
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

meggy--I commend you for taking such a proactive step for yourself.

I think a lot of people bypass the great help and resources that are available to anyone at the domestic violence centers---maybe, because they have a lot of negative fear and false assumptions about what they might be like.

I am so glad that you have shared this with us!!!

dandylion
Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bless you and hugs - kudos for taking care of yourself!!!! keep it up!!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you.
Go for all the support you can get.

Hugs.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How you are doing today, meggy? I've been thinking of you. Good thoughts and prayers being sent your way.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a nudge on another thread to contact a DV center to help me with healing from emotional abuse. Thanks to you, I did that this morning. It was a baby step. I called them, I cried - wasn't expecting to, but it all started to come out - I was given support I really need. I'm emotionally exhausted now. It feels so good to have this number in my pocket along with another one they gave me. I took it out and looked at it later. It is wonderful to know I have options. That there are people out there somewhere who can help me. The abuse has stopped for me, but in my head it didn't end there. I don't know when I'll be up to calling again or what steps I'll be taking in my healing, but this reaching out was an important one.

I hope you are safe.

Wishing you the very best. Thank you for sharing. It was a gift. I don't have a smile in me yet today, but here's a smilie with a big thank you for how I really do feel.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yay for you meggie and keepingthefaith! It is a new day, take charge of your life and make it a happy one!

God Bless!

XXX
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meggy,
Great job on taking action to help yourself!!! I hope you find peace soon.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
How you are doing today, meggy? I've been thinking of you. Good thoughts and prayers being sent your way.
I'm doing pretty well, thank you! How are you? I just set up an appointment with a case worker in a couple of weeks so I have that to look forward to. Visiting my family this weekend will be nice, too.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
I had a nudge on another thread to contact a DV center to help me with healing from emotional abuse. Thanks to you, I did that this morning. It was a baby step. I called them, I cried - wasn't expecting to, but it all started to come out - I was given support I really need. I'm emotionally exhausted now. It feels so good to have this number in my pocket along with another one they gave me. I took it out and looked at it later. It is wonderful to know I have options. That there are people out there somewhere who can help me. The abuse has stopped for me, but in my head it didn't end there. I don't know when I'll be up to calling again or what steps I'll be taking in my healing, but this reaching out was an important one.

I hope you are safe.

Wishing you the very best. Thank you for sharing. It was a gift. I don't have a smile in me yet today, but here's a smilie with a big thank you for how I really do feel.
That's awesome you reached out! I am finding it a little easier each day to do so and like you said, baby steps. There is even a women's center near me that has art classes for free, maybe there is something like that around you. Hope you have a good day and be proud of yourself for taking that step!