Notices

Group therapy for 2+ hrs?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Group therapy for 2+ hrs?

I was seen by a counselor about two weeks ago and haven't been back yet (she cancelled our next appt due to her being sick) but now she's wanting me to go to group substance abuse counseling. It's on Tuesday and Thursdays but the problem is it's from 6pm to 8:30pm. I get off work at 5 and it would take me about 45 min to get there (or home, it's down the street from my house). I want to go but don't want to go. I wouldn't get home till about 8:45 ( if I leave right then). I go to bed pretty early now, 9 or before 10 and just feel like it'll be taking up my family time. I know that some will say drinking "took" my family time so what's the big deal? Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian - the two evening commitment doesn't seem too onerous to me; how many weeks will the counseling continue? It seems worth the effort in order to regain/ maintain sobriety. Maybe give it a few tries to see if you find it beneficial???
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in a same situation.

I have a group session tonight. But my priority is sobriety, so I am going!!

And this will take the same amount of time than would take me drinking, but no hangover tomorrow ;-)

I say you grab a quick Sandwich for dinner and go.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am awaiting for my first appointment for therapy too, but think mine is one on one.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi MrG,

Had my one on one last night it was great!

You will most likely make a plan with the therapist, mine was really insightful and supportive. Good luck!

If we put the same amount of energy in our recovery as we did drinking, we are set for gold! As many old timers said before
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ithink it depends on whether you want to go to group therapy or not. I;m not sure from your post if you want to go to group therapy but not keen on times or actuallly don't want to do group therapy and times is a reason for not going, Be honest with yourself- what do you want? Don't be forced in to group therapy. If it isn't what you want then say so to your therapist and if she isn't happy find another therapist.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I know that some will say drinking "took" my family time so what's the big deal? Thoughts?
That was my thought. It's a five hour committment. Considering that you are just a few weeks sober and have had a number of relapses since you've joined SR, I would think you'd relish any and all help. A couple hours for two days a week sounds like a small investment with a big reward if you attain sobriety.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's not the group that bothers me, it's the time....

My son was sick last night and has testing all week and I won't see him if I go tonight. I know he'll be asleep when I get home. If it was just an hour there would be no question. I just find that 2 1/2 hrs is a long time since I leave for work at 7 am get home usually 5:45 but now I'd be leaving at 7 am and getting home 8:45-9 twice a week.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Today

You are no good to your son as a drunk. Your sobriety should be your priority so that you can be a better mom. Look at it as medical treatment that is necessary to get you well and try not to let your AV look at all the negatives. I understand the concern over not seeing your son (I have to leave my kids at night to go to AA meetings), but it's ok to make yourself a priority in this case.

As a side note, I had group 4 hours per weekday for five weeks and it was the best thing I've ever done.