Notices

Vacation

Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vacation

So I am off on vacation with my boyfriend tomorrow early, and it hits me that I am really nervous about being sober with him. I know I will get irritated when he drinks, and I canīt forbid him to do that. He says he will drink just a little because of my sober efforts. And I know he is going to watch over me, which I guess is good but makes me feel like a three year old. Which I am not used to, being a woman who orders people around professionally :-)
When I met him I was fine doing all kinds of fun and crazy stuff completely sober. How the hell did it come to me being insecure with him sober? I find him overwhealming at times, we meet just every other week, and he is so eager to see me I fell pressure, and I drink. But it is hard to discuss this, because surely it is not his fault I drink. I seem to cope with all kinds of stress and pressure with a drink. I just find any reason. Work going well, work going bad, relationship going good/bad etc etc. I clearly need therapy and have found a counselor I will contact when I am back. It cant hurt and as soon as the bloody door I broke is paid, I can afford it..
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post
...and it hits me that I am really nervous about being sober with him...
Yes, I imagine that with only a couple days sobriety under your belt, you might be nervous.

I hope you manage an alcohol and chaos free vacation.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your sobriety is a precious gift you gave yourself. Don't break it. Have a good vacation.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, I am quite confident I will make it sober, but a bit scared how we will interact. He doesnīt like me drunk, but he doesnīt really like me sober either, I think a lot and come off as difficult and demanding...will try to take the time to discuss with him how I feel. And took all my excersice clothes with me, and will force him to run with me :-)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good stuff!

I'm somehow glad to be single right now. I can just imagine the challenges you are facing. Just tolerating my sober self is a job and half.

Good luck and have a good vacation! Sobriety comes first ;-)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a big ask but if you work hard you can stay sober Laura.

Make a plan. Think of all the likely scenarios that you might encounter that will tempt or trigger you. Have strategies to deal with this - even look up local AA meets - if you get squirrely you might be glad of the support?

Above all, remember it's the first drink that starts the hurricane. Remember the door.

Have a good, safe and sober holiday

D