Notices

Irrational regret?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irrational regret?

Does anybody else suffer from the rational regret after drinking? I don't drink every day.... I don't drink too much every time I drink... But kind of like I said yesterday it's like playing Russian roulette, when I do decide to drink sometimes I moderate and sometimes I binge.

The kicker though is even though I didn't do something stupid or silly or offend anybody during my last binge, I still feel this overwhelming feeling of regret. Like having somebody seeing me that drunk is shameful of me.... Even though I was NOT the only person drunk.

So why the regret? Is it me being too critical of myself? A perfectionism complex? Whatever it is I don't like it.... The feeling of shame a sadness weighing heavily in my cheat
Old 04-14-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'd say the part of you that wants to be sober, regrets your choice to drink. You don't have to be a perfectionist to feel sorry about something. Just human.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to the club unchartedxo, I'm sure many of us have felt that way.
Speaking for myself, the answer is absolutely yes. You can fill in all the blanks for me. Been there done that - too many times to want to remember.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by unchartedxo View Post
Does anybody else suffer from the rational regret after drinking? I don't drink every day.... I don't drink too much every time I drink... But kind of like I said yesterday it's like playing Russian roulette, when I do decide to drink sometimes I moderate and sometimes I binge.

The kicker though is even though I didn't do something stupid or silly or offend anybody during my last binge, I still feel this overwhelming feeling of regret. Like having somebody seeing me that drunk is shameful of me.... Even though I was NOT the only person drunk.

So why the regret? Is it me being too critical of myself? A perfectionism complex? Whatever it is I don't like it.... The feeling of shame a sadness weighing heavily in my cheat
Honestly it sounds to me like an internal struggle between the part of you that knows you are an alcoholic and knows you cannot drink responsibly, and the alcoholic inside you saying it's OK to drink.

You say you don't like it and you are sick of it - there is a solution to the whole thing you know....stop drinking. I know it sounds simple and cliche but it really is - drinking causes you regret, so don't drink and you won't have regret about it anymore.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always knew I could be doing something better with my life - is it possible that's gnawing at you too Unchartedxo?

I had nights too when I didn't drink too much - and man I *clung* to those nights as 'proof' I could moderate...

but it was always good luck rather than good management.

Many more times when I had very very good reasons to stay sober - I couldn't.

I think those are the times we have to look at Unchartedxo.

D