Notices

First vacation coming up

Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First vacation coming up

As I work my through day 60 something. I can't believe two months have home by so fast & how little I miss drinking. For sure, I miss my bar friends, but that is unfixable.
A bigger storm for me is I'm going to Hawaii this week. I thought no Tiki bar? No Duke's on Sunday? No beer at the pool? No beer while I golf? Do I make a contract with myself (2 drinks on 3 days?).. Is that a fool's errand? Can I put my toe in the water and not fall in? Or do I just say no way and see if I can make it over another challenge? Not drinking on vacation is certainly not a sacrifice, when I think I have friends deployed that are in danger.. Sorry to ramble..
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on 60+ days cap'n. good luck on your trip - I would say NO WAY JOSE.

I have discovered I hit the ball better on the last hole when I don't drink. And the ones in between. You can do this. Think positive.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your 60 days. Going on vacation is tough, but absolutely doable. Remember that many people ( most actuallly ) don't obsess over how many drinks the will or won't have prior to going somewhere - only Alcoholics do that.

I'm guessing you had a reason to stop drinking 60 days ago - are you suggesting that those reasons no longer exist? You know it won't be just one or two, that's just your addiction talking.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How about big, fancy tropical mock tails? Or is that too girly??
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
As I work my through day 60 something. I can't believe two months have home by so fast & how little I miss drinking. For sure, I miss my bar friends, but that is unfixable.
A bigger storm for me is I'm going to Hawaii this week. I thought no Tiki bar? No Duke's on Sunday? No beer at the pool? No beer while I golf? Do I make a contract with myself (2 drinks on 3 days?).. Is that a fool's errand? Can I put my toe in the water and not fall in? Or do I just say no way and see if I can make it over another challenge? Not drinking on vacation is certainly not a sacrifice, when I think I have friends deployed that are in danger.. Sorry to ramble..

Hi Jkirk, well done on your 60 day mark, that's great going. Vacation time is just another example of showing the new and improved you to the world, I realise most people drink more on a vacation due to no work commitments and driving etc but the taste of a ice cold coke hits the mark for me every time these days and of course my coffee👍 good luck with the ⛳️ Bet you will score better too.
Enjoy..
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

AA meetings

Bishop Museum

Manoa Falls

Foster Gardens

Circle the Island by car or public bus

Walk on Waikiki and look at the pretty people instead of sitting in a bar and watching them pass

Go to the University campus and find something interesting happeneing

Volunteer and get to know the locals

Did I mention AA meetings?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
Hey, fully identify with you wanting a drink on holiday. It's part of the deal!

Drinking during golf game?? That's just crazy. You may as we'll not be out playing.

You can do this. Play the tape through to the end.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going and will abstain. I've never had a dinner there sober, now is a good time to start!
Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing feels more hawaii than a cold class of strawberry-guava-passion juice over ice!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Make a plan - think of all the likely scenarios that may trouble you or tempt you and devise strategies.

Even if you're not an AA member - take a note of local meetings - you may never need to use the information, but if you find yourself in trouble you may be glad of the extra support.

Have a good sober vacation

D
Old 04-14-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

jkirk, the only other advice I can give beside the others' is ;; wait for it

SUNSCREEN

Have a fun sober holiday.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jkirk, Just change your perspective a little bit. Don't think you are missing out on anything by not drinking. Just realize that this will probably be your best vacation ever because you will not be drinking. No hangovers, no forgetting, more money to spend on fun stuff, etc… Have a blast!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

coldfusion gave a few suggestions for activities, here are a few more: Arizona Memorial, snorkeling, surfing - just rent a board and try it (SUNSCREEN). I tried surfing on Waikiki years ago, rented a long board and tried it. Spent the next several days wearing long pants because my Irish skin burnt like a lobster. Kayak, kayak, kayak.
Get away from the main tourist attractions.
Plenty of things to do that don't even allow alcohol. Look for those. Enjoy. Don't drink.