Notices

Bad anxiety

Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad anxiety

Woke up in the middle of the night (in Europe it is now morning) with a real panic feeling of "what have I done?". I really want to focus on the future and not dwell in what I have done, but it is hard. Any tips on how to refocus and what to do when the anxiety gets bad? I have a full day of work ahead, usually keeping busy helps, it is in the early early mornings, when I wake up and canīt go back to sleep that is the biggest problem. Today is day 2, and I know that anxiety gets better as the sober days go by. But it is hard.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laura

I found that kind of anxiety got progressively better during the first week or so.

The more days I racked up sober the more I realised that I couldn't change the past...but I could do a lot with my future

Whatever your recovery plan is keep working at it
I hope you'll have a better sleep tonight.

D
Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, unfortunately I need to get up at 03 in the night to catch a plane tomorrow. planning on checking in herr also during my vacation even if it costs a little with the internet on the phone. All the support really helps, as well as knowing I am not alone.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Laura

I find mindfulness practice to be very useful. Focus on the present, ie, the very moment you are in. Whatever you are doing, simply focus on that with all your senses. It may be eating breakfast, doing some laundry, going to work, completing a task. Simply focus on that. Ignore thinking about the past or the future. One cannot be anxious about now !
Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

safe travels laura, keep in touch
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
painless

I take 3 huge breaths and hold each one... it helps my anxiety to pass with comfort... but thats just me... keep strong in europe. us addicts need support worldwide. Best to u... keep up the drive my friend...
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some great anxiety meditations on YouTube Laura.just google, they have helped me while I am in the midst of my anxiety. Hope this helps x
Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if you are on day 2 you may be entering the worst phase of withdrawal. I just thought of it like I was sick, and just slogged through it, knowing that if I rested as much as possible, and tried not to worry about, it would (and did!) get better quickly. good luck, keep at it.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Laura I just went through a bad week of anxiety just like ur describing. As stated earlier with time it gets better. I've made plenty of mistakes myself It gets better. Move forward and don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You CAN do it Laura! We are here to help! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Laura, I've had a lot of anxiety, too. Walking around the block usually makes it go away. Breathing exercises help, breathe in the new, breath out the old, do it slowly. After a while my anxiety usually passes.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anxiety? Had a few very brief episodes of anxiety first two weeks....... then it went away.

I think the anxiety will go away on its own, i think the lack of sleep and insomnia is the WORST part of this whole thing........ but thats neither here nor there.

Something i tried which seemed to work to calm me down was reminding myself mentally that my brain is making a big fuss over nothing, that the false alarm symptoms (and they are mostly false alarm) such as pounding heart, pain in left arm, difficulty breathing are just anxiety and nothing more. Remember, what you think becomes real or at least SEEMS real - "mind over matter". When under anxiety the brain will make you feel all kinds of awful, i felt like my heart was gonna pop out of my chest............... few days later it was gone......... stupid brain!

Its mostly in our heads and its our over-active brain playing games with our feelings.

I knew the "feelings" were BS right as they started because i have never had any heart problems, so as soon as i started experiencing "heart attack" symptoms i knew it was just my brain making a big fuss over nothing.

I hope you get what im saying, it helps a lot to remember that the anxiety symptoms are NOT in fact "real".......... go do a Google on "anxiety", its got like a million common symptoms that regularly get confused with other disorders.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

I also had bad anxiety the first week. I believe it started to lessen a bit by Day 4 or 5 and got a bit better every day. The anxiety will lessen. Hang in there.