Notices

New here

Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here

I am on Day 1... again. I pray for answers. Why am I not 'getting' it. Been in and out for seven flipping years. My husband got it, right off the bat and hasn't had to have a drink since. I can put together a month, sometimes several, only to relapse again. My 27 y/o daughter took her life 5 years ago. It's not my excuse, just my reality. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by StormiNormi; 04-13-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: graphics placed in wrong location
Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome StormiNormi

I'm sorry for your loss...but I know you'll find help and support here

D
Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi SN, welcome to SR. I've found the support I get here makes a real difference.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Don't focus on past failures, think about what you can do with the here and now. We're glad to have you!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Welcome Stormi. I'm so so very sorry for your loss.

Glad to have you join our family.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Try try again

Welcome StormiNormi

Hello & welcome, StormiNormi. I'm very sorry for the loss of your dear daughter.

Day 1 is a start and that's awesome!! I just joined SR recently and have found enormous support and wisdom here. And most of all, I'm learning to recover one day at a time.

Glad to have you here with us!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Stormi Normi xxxxxx
Old 04-14-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Stormi....Glad you are here. I noticed that you said your husband got it right away. I know when I compare myself to others it only hinders my progress. Focus on you! We are all unique and respond differently to tragedy. My brother died in a car accident when he was young, my dad got over it, my mother never did!
So far I have found the stories and advice on here to be so helpful....
Like you I am on Day 2....AGAIN! Stay strong and come back frequently
Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR StormiNormi.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR istyme29,glad you are here.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too lost my SO's grandson Halloween 2009, he was 23 , also he was my partner in my glass business. Was very hard to cope as the rest of his family abandoned us moving out the day he died. I ended up with another DWI in August 2011 over that and other life problems, it was not worth it I assure you , thankfully i'm not drinking now! You can do it! We all know you can! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by istyme29 View Post
Hi Stormi....Glad you are here. I noticed that you said your husband got it right away. I know when I compare myself to others it only hinders my progress. Focus on you! We are all unique and respond differently to tragedy. My brother died in a car accident when he was young, my dad got over it, my mother never did!
So far I have found the stories and advice on here to be so helpful....
Like you I am on Day 2....AGAIN! Stay strong and come back frequently
Hi Stormi - I completely agree with the above quote. We cannot compare ourselves to others. I've been trying to nail this for three years (been an alcoholic for about 13 years, with the past 7 being my worst). And this past week has been a real eye opener. What method works for one person, may not work for you. It's up to you to find the method that works. And share it with others, so they, too, understand, that we are all different, but we all have the same desire. How we get there is a different story - my road might be a gravel country road with cattle and farms, another's road might be fast and on the expressway driving through a city like Atlanta, one might be on a trail on horseback, slow going, but still getting there. So, the key is finding that road, taking it and staying on it. And when you take what you think is a scenic byway or a city bypass, you need to find your self back on that same road you started on. That road is sobriety. Don't worry about the past - it's done, you can't change things, learn and grow.

Most of all as many here say - don't give up, don't quit. And always reach out when you need to.

Hugs and love to you!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

so very sorry about your daughter hopefully if its what you want truly what you want you will stay sober

MM
Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OH my gosh....and I forgot to mention my sorrow and sympathy for your loss. The tragedies we all have in our lives, some worse than others. My heart goes out to you.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, StormiNormi. I am very sorry for the loss of your daughter. I am a bereaved parent, also; we learn to "manage the grief" but we never really, really "get over it". Rather like alcoholism, isn't it. There may be recovery but there is no cure. But the good news is there IS recovery.

Glad you found, SR. Let's walk this road together. You can do this.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How are you today, Stormi?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Other than some hot flashes, which may be menopause, and some elevated irritation, I am still sober. I am trying to keep my distance from emotiona triggers. ie; my husband. He is very suspicious and neurotic. I caught him smelling my soda yesterday and he sneaks up on me out in the yard when I thought he was out. Make life much like walking on eggshells. I suppose I have given him the right to do so. I did not drink everyday, nor every week; but he never knew when he came home if he'd smell alcohol. He has the nose of a hound, so I am not fooling anyone if I think I can slip a cup.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I want to thank you all for your welcomes and support. I have been searching for another Mother who lost a child to suicide that has been able to maintain sobriety. I realize Fathers struggle too, but what I need is a woman's take on overcoming the grief and guilt.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
I want to thank you all for your welcomes and support. I have been searching for another Mother who lost a child to suicide that has been able to maintain sobriety. I realize Fathers struggle too, but what I need is a woman's take on overcoming the grief and guilt.
You may want to start a post on this topic, Stormi. I know that there are other bereaved parents on this website, as am I but my loss was not to suicide.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I will, thank you Soberleigh