Notices

Gifts you are just starting to unwrap?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gifts you are just starting to unwrap?

]I heard a speaker this morning say he'd been given the gift of a young son but because of drinking, he hadn't unwrapped it. I like this sentiment quite a bit. It's sort of like gratitude but with a twist. What are gifts you've been given you are just now starting to "unwrap" in sobriety?

For me, it's relationships with my family who I have been hiding from because I didn't want them to know I was drinking again for fear of disappointing them and feelings of shame. I am trying to cultivate those relationships and have made some progress in my 19 days of sobriety. They have been supportive. I've been coming out of hiding...with honesty.

Also, I'm lucky my health hasn't been horribly affected by my drinking I have few annoying issues with my back but nothing unmanageable. I am trying to improve myself physically to further unwrap the gift of health I have been given.

Any one else?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think recovery has allowed me to grow into who I should have been all along...I consider that a gift.

D
Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am no longer ashamed of myself, nor do I hate myself. That is a huge gift for me.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hated waking in the morning and not knowing what I did the night before. The gift of memory I have unwrapped. I love being sober.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a wonderful thread topic! I hope more people post, I can't wait to read some. Kinda too soon for me at this point. Tomorrow is the 14th day. I don't remember what they were specifically when I went 6 months. I do know I want it back and more.

On day 12 I went into the office (Day Off) to work on a huge pit of a project. I made only a little dent but it is more that I would've had done when I get in on Monday. I am grateful for a higher level of productivity. Two weeks ago, I missed work and accomplished nothing. I am happier with my own performance!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Justadude....I don't think it's too soon and I love your example. I would drink to zone out to avoid projects like that. Then it'd be a crisis and panic to get it done. Glad you tackled it.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gifts....well
Not ashamed.
Way more confident.
Man up to a lot of things.
Communication with people.
Mentally stronger.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Oh Pamperingme what a great idea for a thread ! Thank you.

The gift I'm currently unwrapping is truly understanding just how resilient and strong and tough and gentle and kind I really am.

In my cups, I was always just ashamed and guilt ridden.

Out of them, I'm seeing that I'm one helliva broad.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, practically speaking, the first gift I unwrapped (and continue to unwrap) is driving myself places! I never allowed myself to drink and drive so this was HUGE for me. I can (and do) go anywhere! On my own time schedule! So much more hassle free, OMG.

Other gifts ... my brain is returning. It's still hazy on the edges but my sharpness is coming back. There's a clarity there that I've missed.

Caring about other people. When I was drinking, my friendships - what ones remained - lacked quality. I really truly didn't care about making or maintaining friendships (unless it was to drink, which what kind of "friendship" is that anyway?) ... I find now it's easier to be a more active listener, easier to build (and rebuild) connections with others.

On that same note, participating and not being afraid to "use my voice". I mistakenly believed alcohol gave me that "liquid courage". In retrospect, it did anything but ... I was always too afraid people would notice I was drunk, so I stayed quiet. That and I knew that if there was confrontation, I wouldn't have my wits about me to uphold my side of things, so avoidance of people - even when surrounded by them - was my solution. Now I opine like a mofo, laugh, and relish so greatly the gift of chatty sobriety (I feel like I'm an anomaly in this regard, that most folks deal with the exact opposite problem... idk?)

The gift of FREEDOM. The freedom of not worrying when the liquor store will close, making sure I'll have enough to drink for the night, wondering where I'll get my next drink or how I'll get home (see above), the freedom to wake up hangover free and ready to face the day. The freedom to face problems as they come, with a clearer mind and a grateful resolve.

Let's see, what gifts am I looking forward to unwrapping ...

Independence! I'm working really hard at becoming completely self sufficient. This takes time and patience but I'll get there, and boy, will I enjoy that gift!

More courage and strength to just be ME. The gift of truly learning that I'm okay and lovable just as I am. The gift of not having to try soooo hard to be somebody else, thinking that THAT will please everybody. Pleasing everyone is impossible. Truly absorbing that truth would be the gift of a lifetime.

I'm new to sobriety, twelve days in to be exact, but it's been like the twelve days of Christmas in terms of unwrapping gifts.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you Pampering for sharing and starting this thread. What a great analogy! I really like it.

Roguedreams...I love driving too. I was out driving the other night and it still feels like I'm a kid and I've just got my licence again! Even though I've been mostly sober since last July, I still love that feeling. I probably never drove at night for years cos I'd be sloshed.

To look in the mirror and not feel shame. That is a gift.

To be able to manage my finances - even on tough weeks, still feels like a gift.

To have a clean house, a clean sink...is a gift. I know, sounds strange, but honestly, the mess...just adds to the shame and embarrassment.

To have a shower and feel clean...not feel alcohol seeping out of my pores. Is a gift.

Remembering conversations! Gift!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Clarity - everything looks better, more hopeful.

Great post, PamperingMe. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Patience. I no longer grow exasperated with others at the first irritation.

Higher energy levels. I feel like doing more.

Adventures. I never wanted anything to interfere with my drinking, so I never did much. Now I go places and see things.

Freedom. Some nights I climb into bed and as I am laying there the thought comes to me - I didn't think about drinking at all today. That smile is just for me.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am looking forward to unwrapping the things you all are listing! I'm taking baby steps yet, but I have unwrapped the joy of waking up well rested and happy. I don't stay that way all day, LOL, but it is a bright spot in my day.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So...would love to hear others thoughts on their own personal gifts or presents....

Please share as generously as others have...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Some of my gifts - I am present and participating in my life, the good stuff, the not always good stuff, everything, everyday.