Same sh*t different day, now what?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Same sh*t different day, now what?

I have a good friend, he is like a son to me who's been involved with an alcoholic woman off and on for about two years. Their lives are as chaotic as everyone else describes. She has a police record, jail time, been told if she drinks again she'll have a stroke (and drank again), etc. etc.

We have argued many times about her. They recently got an eviction notice because of her drunken rages and screaming and having the neighbors in their apartment complex call the police. Prior to the eviction notice she was in a sober period which ended up lasting about 5 weeks. My friend was looking for other places to move to, together.

Well, she got drunk again and it was all the same sh*t. Throwing things around the apartment, screaming, threatening him. He slept in his car. After that he said he was done and would find a place without her. I was stupid enough to have some hope he meant it.

And now, just a few days later, he found a place for them to move together! I am so furious and sick of him. We had a huge argument. Maybe we're done, I don't know, we've been close for 6 years but I don't know that I can continue to have this woman in my life, through him.

What do I do? I know no one can really tell me, I have to figure it out. I've been trying. He is angry at me for criticizing him. Should I just say goodbye?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Say good bye. Tell him you can't be his scape goat every time she blows a gasket and expect you to be there to coddle him only for him to go back to her.

As I told my AH yesterday... The definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again and expecting different results. If that's what he wants to do then let him have at it. You don't deserve the backlash.