Notices

I'm new

Old 04-12-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new

Hi, I stumbled upon this website on google. I'm 28 years old and have been an addict sense I was 13. I have had several earth shattering events take place back to back, although it is no excuse I feel like it is the depth of why I have the issues that I do. I have read a bit, and would like to read more. I won't post much right away, I'm kinda a loner and stick to my own thing. This is the first place where I have read anything similar to what I have been experiencing in my own mind. I have attended AA and NA and have been sober from hard chemical substances for 8 years now. My addiction shifted to drinking and I have been officially off beers and booze for 3 days now. I'm doing it myself, I feel ok I suppose. AA has not been successful because I really have a really personal and big issue with the higher power thing and also found a thread here I would like to read more into. When I made my account it suggested me to post here so I am leaving a short summary of my situation. Hello everyone and have a nice day/night.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome ST! This a wonderful site with a lot of support. I also haven't found AA as the right fit for me but you are right, there are alternatives which you can read about on this site. Best wishes on your journey, you are very brave x
Old 04-12-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will find plenty of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
painless

Smile

WELCOM TO SR... U will find many amazing posts here that can sort of be a driving force to stay clean and sober. I do daily and nightly after i get off work. best of luck.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you very much. I can already feel that this will help me in my battle. I'm happy I used the programs enough to get away from drugs but AA leaves me failing every time. I was always a mental explorer as well. I'm very deep in my head and love thinking about my mind and mental health. I'm actually excited to read all of the various topics and threads that are here. I have a smartphone so I can come back here 24/7. I'm at the tail end the finish line is in sight. Just the damn beer keeps me failing over and over. My entire family is pretty bad actually. But I am also insanely different then the rest of my family as well. I just need to conquer this last part I guess...
Old 04-12-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, ST.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you joined us. This is a great site for support and useful info. Read and post all you like.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you! In the very near future when I have a bit more confidence and the proper time to sit down and type it out properly, I would like to share some of the things that happened to me as well as some of the things that I did to overcome them. One of my biggest non booze related problems is that I am way to hard on myself. I beat myself up and don't give myself enough credit like for anything. I read a thread on "irrational thinking" and want to dive deeper into that world in my mind. It's time to stop beating myself up and move on. I'm so happy to be clean from the heavy stuff and haven't wanted anything more then to stay away from beer. I'm thankful as well that I stayed away from hard liqueur as well. I have a deep mind and all my close friends and family almost can't keep up with my thoughts and feelings. I have control over them but it's still "too much" for people, or I get ok'd to death and told that everything will be ok, and that I should go to AA which frustrates me! Thank you for listening <3
Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Solitary. I'm really glad you found us and reached out for some help.

When I joined here it meant so much to have people to talk to who really understood. No one in my life had any idea what I was going through. I hope it helps ease your anxiety to know you're in good company. You can do this!
Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxxx
Old 04-13-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 04-13-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all, made it thru day 4 without a major major struggle, work is a good distraction, any tips on dealing with the immense irritability?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good to hear solitarythinker, these are the tough ones, stick it out.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm doing ok, but my girlfriend thinks I'm a complete ******* for the last three days it's really discouraging. It makes me think that I might just be better drinking honestly...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If it's gonna be like this for the next three years I honestly don't see much point...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by SolitaryThinker View Post
It makes me think that I might just be better drinking honestly...
Around here, we say that's your "addictive voice" talking.

Try to explain to your girlfriend what is going on, and that it will be best for both of you in the long run.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We have done nothing but argue and it leaves me upset, she dosent understand
Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh I have very clearly and straight foward, it's no secret
Old 04-13-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Like she just left after another argument for the 4th night in a row and I haven't had a drink in 4 days, I clearly see the pattern but now I'm upset again, hence why I'm on here instead of my Facebook account...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was over 20 beers a day and I'm shaking like crazy, my stomach is still on a roller coaster and I feel like I have an elephant standing on my head, I'm sorry I'm not in the greatest of moods 8(