Notices

I copped a buzz and I liked it.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I copped a buzz and I liked it.

Confession time.

Last night I took my third low dose Norco of the day. Spanning every 6-8 hours to keep the pain manageable and tolerable.

An hour after I took it, I was flying.

Never a pill girl, hate them in fact, suddenly I found myself daydreaming about how many I had left, how to potentiate them, and basically enjoying the very (EXTREMELY) euphoric and mellow feeling they gave me.

I was under the impression that if you took narcs for pain, you wouldn't likely get high because the meds go to the pain part of the brain and not the high part (I really am unschooled on this). I genuinely need them for pain but now I'm scared.

Haven't taken any since yesterday at 5:00 pm. Could I use one ? Absolutely.

But I liked it a little too much. Way too much. Like, lots and lots and lots.

Yikes.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could you ask your doctor to recommend an alternative painkiller that is not habit forming?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience, once the euphoria comes, I am ready to switch to advil (higher dose) or an alternative non-narcotic - maybe call your doctor.

I abuse pain pills until they are gone, so the last few times I've needed them, I take until I start to feel the high which means the pain is receding a bit, then I flush the rest when I switch to Advil. Advil and tylenol are amazingly effective for pain, even post surgical pain in my experience.

Best to you in your recovery.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alpha, I don't think it works that way, that the opiates go to "the pain part of the brain" if you have pain and "the high part" if you don't have pain. The compound binds to receptors that are present in many different parts of the system, and the different components of the nervous system are interconnected. I heard many people say they felt high on opiates, even prescribed doses, when they took them for pain. I think a lot of these reactions varies from person to person.

If you feel this a concern, I would talk to your doctor about it openly and ask for their advice on how to deal with it best. I would call them asap before you start thinking too much about this!!

Glad to see you on and posting, btw
Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"meds go to the pain part of the brain and not the high part "

Drugs and alcohol have nothing to do with anything. The way you think, is at issue. You said it yourself, you were day dreaming about how much you had left. No different then booze.

Now if you told your doctor that you were an alcoholic, if he was an ethical doctor, he would have you on any number of alternative drugs. But those doctors sometimes can be hard to find. Remember that doctors always prescribe drugs, its the western way.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the very least, give yourself credit for being honest. It's been absolutely essential to my recovery and I'm glad you posted this.

If you REALLY need pain meds I'd call the doctor or someone in their network--right away. Whoever I reach over the weekend (regarding meds) always forwards me to a doctor who's on call over the weekend and can take care of my meds issue. I hope you have that option.

What Matt says is true--it's overprescribed in the US and thousands die every year. Valid point.

Keep us posted--we're in your corner!!!

Andy
Old 04-12-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AO; it is wonderful that you immediately recognized the addictive nature of the meds and discontinued them. Your doctor may be able to change your pain meds if you find you cannot tolerate the pain.

Stay strong. Prayers and positive energies being sent your way.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear you, AO. I didn't have surgery, but pain in a nether region where guys don't want any pain, and was prescribed low-dose Norcos.

Four years ago I would have clamored to get any pain pill, and had short periods, like days, where I even had a couple of hits of morphine-like tablets.

But these Norcos altered me, subtly, not hammered, and I frankly didn't like the buzz as I use to when injured or recuperating from surgery and prescribed Oxycontin or codeine. Even though it was euphoric, it altered my perception, and that alone was enough to scare the crap out of me and realize that even after 3 1/2 years of sobriety, my brain will crave anything that alters me.

THe pills are gone and I didn't abuse them but I did take them longer than I needed to to be able to function, meaning walk without intense pain, etc.

And yes, I told the doctor I was an addict and alcoholic and he still prescribed the drugs. Now, expecting someone to recuperate from surgery like you had with no narcotic painkillers is obscene. You had surgery that would set any recovering man screaming for a three-month morphine drip, and you recognized the craving right away and are monitoring yourself, so I say go girl!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. I broke a rib and have been taking Vicodin. Last night was the first night I didn't take one. It's been confusing to me because I have been legitimately been taking for pain but I also enjoyed the side effects. Have had a hard time wrapping my head around that.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
getting there

I agree with those who suggested asking your doctor about switching meds. Is it also that maybe you have less pain now and could switch to something OTC?

Great job posting about this! You've got this thing, I can tell
Old 04-12-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was under the impression that if you took narcs for pain, you wouldn't likely get high because the meds go to the pain part of the brain and not the high part (I really am unschooled on this).
well, that has been my experience - my pain relief doesn't get me high...and I hoped it would be yours too AO.
I've never used Norco tho.

Speak to your Dr - I presume he/she knows your history - if you still need pain relief, there must be alternative pain relief available?

D
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm glad you're being honest about this AO. My husband has severe reactions (hallucinations) with pain-killers in the narcotic family. He has coped reasonably well through a lot with prescription dosage level ibuprofen. If that will put a dent in your pain, and you can live with it (like you're not screaming in agony), I'd suggest you give switching to ibuprofen a try now. A seed's been planted in your brain about getting high off painkillers -- you can do something to stop it from growing!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a freak. No doubt.

Uber sensitive when it comes to things like meds. Overheard the residents talking about how is was that I only used 2 mgs of PCA dilaudid for the duration of the access to the pump. And trust me when I say - I'm not trying to be a hero.

When they switched me to oral norco (10 mg) I almost overdosed. My respiration was slowing. I was totally incoherent. Things went from bad to worse quickly.

Give me a single Advil and within 30 seconds of taking it, I'm doubled over in gastritis pain.
So that's a no go. Atleast the opiates don't hurt my stomach.

But they scare the tar out of me.

Harumph. What a conundrum.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not an unsolvable problem tho.

I'm sure your Dr knows more than both of us about things that will work better for you and your circumstances AO

D
Old 04-12-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's not an unsolvable problem tho.

I'm sure your Dr knows more than both of us about things that will work better for you and your circumstances AO

D
You are right. Just realized this was going in a medical advicey kinda direction. My apologies.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
I was under the impression that if you took narcs for pain, you wouldn't likely get high because the meds go to the pain part of the brain and not the high part (I really am unschooled on this). I genuinely need them for pain but now I'm scared.
Unfortunately no. I believe any narcotic based pain medication will give you that euphoric, mellow feeling if the dose is high enough. This is probably one reason so many people who need opiate based medications for pain management tend to abuse the medication and become addicted.

Please be very careful with these types of pain medication. If I were you, I would have a very long conversation with my doctor. There may be other non-narcotic medications. At the very least, you may want him to understand that he shouldn't be writing you an Rx for a long-term supply of these pills. IMO, having a long term supply of these pills in your home is trouble waiting to happen.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was thinking more best practice than medical advice AO, but yeah - it's a Dr situation I think

D
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can you half the dosage? Perhaps that would help with pain and not create the euphoric.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Can you half the dosage? Perhaps that would help with pain and not create the euphoric.
Now why would I want to do thAt silly goose ? I'm am addict for chrissake.

You guys are right. I'm going to call her in the am and see what her thoughts are. Regardless, this stuff needs to go. And now. It's too yummy.

Yummy in that throw up in your mouth kinda scarey way...
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Now why would I want to do thAt silly goose ? I'm am addict for chrissake. ...
Oh, that's right! I forgot!