Notices

Meetups.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetups.

I have seen only one public group that has a meetup evening somewhere for alcoholics. I wonder why that is the case, because when I am here alone, with nothing to do (other than on the forums) it would be interesting to know that there are other people who want to meet up, to have coffee and an evening, perhaps a film, card evening, anything.

Just somewhere safe that people who have no-one can go to pass some time.

All my family are abroad. W does not understand, and has deep anger. She is walking away and I cannot talk to her.

Friends are all from the marriage, most are drinkers. So, I have nothing but the forums.

Even the old quiz night is alcohol fuelled, so that's not good, it's obviously in a pub.

Oh, and I am not talking about AA meetings, I'm talking about some safe time-outs for everyone who, like me is stressed. Not even other AA members, I want a timeout without no-one I have to associate with my "problem", although they all would be in some way.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey FTA,

That would be great. I'm just north of the Ses Myl Spruit - (across the boerewors curtain) that should be familiar?

I think TGirl is in our neck of the woods too?

PM me and maybe we can set something up?

Vrystaaaat!

B.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I see where that is. I'll maybe try to organize something if we could get enough people together. Fair bit north of me mine
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ya meetups, did you hide your meetups on your profile?

There is more to life then meetings and program work.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that is a great idea. Unfortunately I'm not in your area, but I would be all for it if I were!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not something you want to put on a public forum, I must admit.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been thinking the same... it really isn't trivial how to find other people in recovery even in a city with so many events and outing opportunities like where I live, other than AA. I'm going to try AA mainly for this reason as a start.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe someone could set it up ? On the forum here, you could arrange events that only members can see, and you could all RSVP to attend ?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep I may do that next. Will try AA first because I'm also interested in the program potentially, plus have a few other interests that are unrelated to addiction / recovery and need time for those as well and a usually pretty busy work schedule.

Good luck with your socializing, FTA - I think it's very important. I have intense cravings for social life now, approaching 3 months of sobriety. I isolated myself very seriously for years during my drinking times.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe someone could set it up ? On the forum here, you could arrange events that only members can see, and you could all RSVP to attend ?
SR can't, and won't, promote or encourage any kind of meetups.

We emphasise that people need to consider their personal safety with making internet relationships 'live'.

That's just common sense.
I can't vouch for everybody

You can use websites like Meetup (or your local equivalent) to arrange things like this if you want to.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-12-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can understand that, yes. Meetup is public and open obviously, hence the problem with doing it on there. The aspect of making online relationships live is a risk on all levels of the internet.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also find this frustrating, the only people I seem to meet are at meetings and they're not necessarily people I would want to socialize with.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is a safe fellowship with people that you meet at meetings. Don't over complicate things. AA people can play cards, and have normal conversations as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-3296146026.jpg (76.1 KB, 21 views)