Notices

Sobriety in Times of Stress

Old 04-12-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety in Times of Stress

I don't recall whether I told you folks that I have had to have an aortic (not erotic!) heart valve replacement. I choose the newly developed "noninvasive" option. I had a brief complication afterwards in the nature of a bladder infection and am now making progress in a "rehab" (not for addiction but for post operative recovery). The past week has been very stressful but have felt no urge to drink and continue to learn more about myself and my AV.
All the technical stuff (the aortic valve replacement and the pacemaker) is working well. The bladder infection seems to have disappeared and is no longer a threat. The pain and seizures of sudden pain have all gone. There is no longer a need for further hospitalization. I still need the urine catheter all the time but soon will be able to do without it. My sleeping was excellent last night and soon I will be able to do without medication for that. I'm learning to adapt to this Rehab and will soon be doing moderate exercise and walking around. My spirits are on an upward swing and I estimate that if I am not sent home in the coming week I shall be sent home in the next.
It is interesting how the AV interferes with the situation in times of stress, resenting the controls which are imposed in hospital situations. Very good way to learn all about it and cope with it in other situations. Everyone, whether alcoholic or not, has an AV or child like primitive component of the brain. It's helpful in some cases but tricky and devious.
I am very thankful for the help I've received, including the care and concern of all you SR folk. Thank you indeed from the bottom of my heart. You have my very best wishes and hopes for recovery and sobriety.

W.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find in times of stress I am the most grateful. It is not easy to cope but I am coping which is a huge difference then trying to survive or in my case, run from it.

I have people to talk to and when people ask how I am doing I no longer say "fine" when I am not fine. I say, I am having a rough day. Once I share that I am not doing the best, I feel better. Maybe they can help with advice, maybe they don't but they listen. Sometimes that is just enough to feel the noose loosen.

A problem shared is a problem cut in half. I have found that to be the case over and over again. It takes practice but it is well worth facing that fear.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Great to hear, painter!!!!!

Love and hugs to you!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi W. I'm glad your progressing in all your recoveries. I'm a person that doesn't suffer well and when I had my first heart attack and on the way to the hospital in the ambulance I said a little prayer to the effect This problem is in my higher powers hands and I was ready to accept what ever the outcome will be. So far it's 15 years with a bump here and there.
I'll add that I've never, nor am today a religious person but believe in a power far greater than myself.

BE WELL
Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you W - sorry for the little complication but glad everything else went well

Hope you get home soonest
D
Old 04-12-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are on the mend!