Notices

Day number 2.. again..

Old 04-12-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day number 2.. again..

I have tried a few times over the last couple of years.. today is day number 2.. again.. never make it much farther. Advice? 12 rough years. I made it 16 days about a year and a half ago. It has been a couple of months since I have taken a day off.

Thursday was tough.. for some reason I drank four two big rum drinks and a beer before my wife came home from work. I had planned to go running.. We went down to a friends house for sunset on the beach and by the time we got home I had 5 glasses of wine. She was pissed. She said, your eyes are glazed over, what are you doing to yourself.. I said.. I am fine.. and then i realized.. she was right.. I have gotten to the point that I can cognitively function and reason after my eyes have gone glassy and I am stumbling around.. I know how to be a functioning alcoholic much too well. It hurts.. hurts to hurt my wife.

I have decided to give it a go again. Any advice will be great. I really love life and living it..
Old 04-12-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too thought I was a master of disguise.

Everyone knew I was half in the bag, I did not fall, thought my speech was not blurred.

You can make it out, consider all options, AA, AVRT, smart recovery etc
Old 04-12-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I too thought I was the master of disguise, and excuses. Today I'm transparent. In such a way that I have nothing to hide, and it's freeing. Congrats on day 2. Get to work on a program. It works if you work it!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to a place that can help you IF you want it and can get honest with yourself about your drinking as many of us are masters of rationalization, in other words BSing ourselves and others. Harsh? yes but truthful.
This getting sober is work and many of us are undisciplined and want the softest easiest way out. We can start by doing a lot of reading on this site and I along with millions got sober utilizing meetingS. It starts with not picking up the first drink so we don't have to try get sober AGAIN.
Life will gradually get better when we don't pick up and follow suggestions even if we don't want to.

BE WELL
Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You can do this if you want it bad enough. I come here every day and make the pledge in the 24 hour club, I will not drink for the next 24 hours. Don't worry about all the drinking you might do, just don't pick up the first drink, NO MATTER WHAT! Come here often, join our online meetings on Tuesday and Friday. Post often, read around. Do what ever it takes to stay sober. Soon it will become the norm. I am working the steps, some do, some don't. The big book is here online. Help is here. Just reach out for it. We are all here for you. The journey is hard but it is so worth it. Good luck to you. Glad you found us.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome I find aa is great for recovery as well as this site congrats on two days xxx
Old 04-12-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whats your plan to stay sober IrieOne?

D
Old 04-12-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Develop a real plan (we all tend to develop a plan that just doesn't work, I know it all too well - good intentions, but no action) - how do you do that - take the advice of those here - they know it all too well. My brother has been sober 13 years, and I reached out to him this week after returning here. It's the best move I've made. Now I'm looking into an AA group, and hoping to find the one that I can call "home". I'm just starting out (again) - I'm on day 7. But, I've been trying since 2011. I've never given up and I thank those here for their honesty and candidness. Sometimes it may even come across as hard love. But, that is the key word love. They truly care.
I wish you the best - don't ever give up. As they say here, we do not fail when we cave, we do not fail when we fall, we fail when we give up trying.
Hugs and love to you. Stay here, keep posting, and keep an open mind.