Notices

Lost my empathy??

Old 04-11-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost my empathy??

I haven't posted too much. Read a lot. Sometimes (a lot lately) I have nothing helpful to add. Then there are THOSE posts. The ones I want to say, WAT the heck are you thinking. I feel like I'm losing the soft side. I want to be kind, I don't want to scare anyone away. But sometimes I want to take a trip through cyber space and kick some butt!!!

Am I alone? Or shall I build the cyber-ship for multiple people?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all have ups and downs, good days and bad days.

I find if I'm in a butt kicking mood, it's best to log off, cos it's usually more about me than it is about whoever I'm responding to.

D
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I adore the people I hang with on SR! It's the people in real life whose butts I want to kick!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not everyone can tolerate everything we see or read. We do have the option of ignoring that which makes us uncomfortable, and just being happier in general with what we as individuals have accomplished in life. Just my opinion.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just take a break, Raider, and rejuvenate. When I feel like that, I find that focusing on myself a bit more really helps.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can't rescue everyone Raider! I put it down to the fact that people aren't necessarily at their best when they get here....
Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

In any public forum there will be negative people or folks that just want to push their agenda. There are only a few here that I see doing that but it does get a bit much sometimes.

Did you know that you can choose to not see a person's post's? It is very easy...

Just click on their name and a list will pop up.
Scroll down to the bottom of that list
Click on 'Add _______ to your ignore list'

Whenever they post in a thread you are viewing, their post will not be readable. If you are curious or want to see it, there is a button on the upper right of their post that says 'view post'. This will allow you to see the post but they will remain on your ignore list. There is also a button on the lower right, I believe, that says 'Remove from your ignore list' and that will allow you to see all their post's again. Most forums have this feature.

I hope this helps..... and you don't just block me now! LOL!

I also sometimes want to tell folks off but then I hear my Mom saying... 'If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything!'. So, I and I move on to the next thread.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I first got sober, and when I was all sad and mad and sick, or acting crazy, my parents would say "Just snap out of it!!!"
......and I would think to myself, "You have absolutely no idea."
Sometimes I have to remind myself of this.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Raider,
Whenever you feel like you want to drop the gloves, PM me with, "You wanna go?"
That's hockey speak...

Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know where you're coming from. SR can be quite a roller coaster of experience. The more time that goes along the more I admire some of the members here who are like tireless saints and always seem to have just the right thing to say.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I know where you're coming from. SR can be quite a roller coaster of experience. The more time that goes along the more I admire some of the members here who are like tireless saints and always seem to have just the right thing to say.
Well said Lance. I agree.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At some point, we were all the ones posting something that made someone else say, "What the heck are you thinking?!" Remembering that keeps me empathetic-most of the time. ;-)

June
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
instant

People are at where they are. i try to give thanks I am in a healthier place (for now) and pray they might find a way to peace for themselves.

Having said that I read and move on
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

I know what you mean Raider. I don't post unless I really feel like it might be helpful. I have also learned not to post on certain member's threads.

I try to be positive when I do post, there is enough negativity out there in life, we don't need it here too. It helped to have some sober time before I realized this.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

People often post provocative comments, sometimes unintentionally. It helps to remember where I am.

I'm in the group that's learned that when I'm not feeling quite right, or when I need to address something about which I'm either not fully aware or over which I'm procrastinating, the things people say and do that would otherwise have no effect on me can get under my skin.

That's only one reason why a program of recovery is so valuable to me.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Raider I do a lot of back spacing. But when we are new to recovery, there is a lot of
fear, and self pity, and justifying our behavior that we are not even aware we are doing.

I try to stay away from threads that affect me negatively, sometimes I will let a condescending
comment of my own slide and I always regret it later.

It's like I am one step behind the holy spirit if you know what I mean.

My heart is always convicted later. I need to be more patient with new people. I was a newcomer
once too and I seem to forget that.

My behavior and thoughts are always evolving. I probably posted something 3 months ago that of
which my whole perpsective may have changed since then .

As I continue myself to grow up emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Last edited by deeker; 04-11-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Raider. There are some days I come on here and find it a little overwhelming to read all the misery we all face when first getting sober. It is so raw. For me it touches sore spots because it reminds me of things that I have done. We see people doing things that we did in the past, things we found to be big mistakes for ourselves and our sobriety. It gets me down at times and I need to take a break but not completely go away. We were all brand new and struggling at one point.

I saw you started this and had to read because I was thinking of you and hadn't seen posts by you and am glad you put this one up.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Some days I'm all nummy nummy and everything makes sense and I'm in total help mode.

Other days I'm like - give me a flaking break ! Why make the journey so much more difficult than it needs to be ?

I do think, my friend, that it's all a part of it.

Healing and wholing.
And, ultimately, learning about ourselves...

XO AO
Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Some days I'm all nummy nummy and everything makes sense and I'm in total help mode.

Other days I'm like - give me a flaking break ! Why make the journey so much more difficult than it needs to be ?

I do think, my friend, that it's all a part of it.

Healing and wholing.
And, ultimately, learning about ourselves...

XO AO
Rather than an absence of empathy, it is rather an abundance of it.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I validate your post Raider. You have had your ups and downs the last couple of months.
Some of you posts were so positive and helpful and others were not so much.
That's indicative of the swings we all feel and are going through. Perhaps you were spending too much time on SR. We are all different.
I try to post on my November class group once a week on my weekly anniversary.
I try to check in with Venuscat and Deeker on the 24 hour page a couple of times a week.
I scroll thru the posts every few days and see where I might interject some helpful words.
Someone said on this thread that we cant save everyone. Its true. We are a collective group of drunks that all have something to share at some point. Do what you can to help someone, do more to help yourself.
I have been having a particularily tough week with the old desires popping up. I have to say at 5 months, this week has been tougher than even the first couple. I spent more time on SR this week. Just reading, not so much posting. It helped for sure, as another Friday night has passed spending time with the club soda.
Maybe try to take the weight off your shoulders of feeling its up to you to save everyone.
We are all proud of you. Keep posting, keep reading, keep up the great progress.
Rick