AVRT for quitting smoking

Old 04-11-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AVRT for quitting smoking

I wasn't much of a smoker before I started drinking. After I stopped drinking, though, my smoking increased and took its place. And NOW, after 3 years, I'm ready to use RR to stop smoking. I've been hearing my AV saying that "at least I still have this." Geez. Wake up call! I just can't believe I didn't equate the two. An addiction is an addiction, and an AV is an AV. Good bye cigarettes. Take that, beast.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It should work. Why not? I was told that after three or four days your desire for nicotine is strictly in your head. I don't know how true it is.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just finishing up Allen Carr's book. It is pretty much the same idea as RR. Recognize the "little monster" for what it is. Yeah, I'm excited. Wahoo.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did it, and I know that others have too...I think there's an old thread on here that describes it. The early days were tough...the beast kicked off big time...but I'm now nearly 11 months cigarette free and that was after 30 years of smoking and a million attempts to stop.

I read the crash course on RR, made a Big Plan...and that was it. Easy peasy...

Go for it
Old 04-12-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Altoids, I loved Allen Carrs book...I had tried taking Champix but quit taking them after 11 days as they made me feel nutty...when I read the book it made it easier and fits, I also joined QSMB for support. Good luck, that was almost 5 years ago.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post

I read the crash course on RR, made a Big Plan...and that was it. Easy peasy...
I have great support here at home, and I know I always have SR.

The idea of using a drug to get off a drug didn't make sense to me. . .plus I'm really scared of any drug. I'm allergic (not in the 'addicted' sense but in 'need an Epi Pen' sense) to many of them, so pretty much everything has been holistic in my life. . . . except smoking. Seems silly, huh?

Thanks, everyone. I really love RR and how it makes decisions SOOOO easy.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, it is the same principle! Good bye beast!!! I gave a friend of mine the RR book to help with her drinking, which it did, but she also stopped smoking at the same time and never looked back! It works!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi All, New here. I read Alan Carr's book on "how to quit drinking the easy way" after waking up with yet another horrible hangover on Saturday. Somehow found this site and AVRT--seems very similar to Alan's techniques (actually think they will work quite well together as Alan gets you to see alcohol as a nasty tasting poison--why would you want that? And agrees that alcoholism is not an incurable disease but a choice). I went to to the AVRT website and made the big plan and will buy the book and read it.
Anyway, I wanted to join in on this thread because I am planning to quit smoking at the same time, ambitious I know, lol. But I'm not a heavy smoker--usually only when I drink--but that was like every other day. So we'll see. I actually had more of a craving for a cigarette today than booze (only on day 2). But I talked to the craving like a beast and they went away. I'll post updates on my progress.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A hearty welcome to you, Sobrietea. You have found a great resource here at SR that comes with a lot of support for you. I hope you continue to post and share your success.

I IS exciting to understand that you can, right this minute, make your Big Plan, and choose to never drink, or smoke, or use, ever again. You have what you need already to make this choice, and to make it stick. A life without addiction to alcohol, or to smoking for that matter, is something that you simply deserve to have. Demand it, and never allow anything or anyone to take it from you.

Best to you.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you freshstart 57! I have been reading many of your posts here over the past few days and have found much inspiration in them.

I know what you say is true, I do deserve it and I am just feeling so relieved that I no longer have to poison myself. I know I will be tempted by the beast much more harshly soon (I think it's just kind of in disbelief right now--this morning it said--yeah right, you're going to quit drinking and laughed at me) but right now I am just feeling elated imagining all the things I will now be able to do now that I am no longer held back by alcohol. And just the idea of never waking up sick again is a feeling of indescribable joy.

How many beautiful weekends have I missed laying in bed recovering? How many opportunities have I missed with wonderful people because they didn't drink like me? How many productive days have I missed because I just couldn't put that bottle down even when I told myself I would only have a few? More than I can count. But I have made up my mind--I do not drink anymore and I won't change my mind!
And that goes for smoking too!!!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How you doing with not smoking Altoids?
Wanted a cigarette pretty bad last night studying for a final, had to tell my beast to shut up for about 10 mins straight, and then it went away.
My AV kept saying , "well if your'e not going to drink, you might as well just smoke ... you'll never make it if you don't" Yeah , the AV is the AV. If it can't get me to drink, it wants me to smoke, lol.