Notices

getting waves of happiness

Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

getting waves of happiness

hey just wondering what this is...out of nowhere i'll get a huge wave of happiness only to find out that it comes and goes like the wind..i'm not saying that when it leaves i'm depressed or anything..but it is weird that it just comes out of nowhere?

i embrace it when it happens, (just happened a fewminutes ago thats why im questioning it here)..

honestly, i've never considered myself ever being depressed as i rarely get sad, but i wonder if i've lived with depression for so long that i've become accustomed to the feeling and just brush it off as a normal state of existence?

your thoughts please
Old 04-11-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't really know the answer as to why this may be happening, but I know what you mean. I know mood swings are part of withdrawal and PAWS but for me when this happens, I think it's because I used substances to numb me out so now ANY type of feeling is a bit odd....refreshing but unfamiliar haha! I've said this in other threads too, but it's so strange to me how I used to drink and smoke weed to self-medicate my anxiety/uncomfortable feelings...but the longer I go without them I'm seeing how the substances may have CAUSED said anxiety. I'm curious to hear what others have to say on this also
Old 04-11-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would and still do get that occasionally, I like it a lot...it has to be chemical, how else can you explain it..all of a sudden I will feel happy, delighted and get a burst of energy and feel lighter and just happy, walk around with a smile on my face for a while.

I am not sure about the depression, I have some family members with some serious health problems and that can feel all consuming and heavy and overwhelming but I am not sure I am depressed...I believe I was depressed when I was drinking...

I like the waves of happiness.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krete77 View Post
your thoughts please
Pssst, I will tell you a secret, that feeling is called sobriety.

The roller coaster goes up and down in the beginning and you get that happiness, that taste and you want more.

Its a beautiful thing.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Everyone has ups and downs in life but they don't all get drunk because of it. We are a sensitive lot xxxxxx
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Enjoy it when you can. I get that too sometimes.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh gotta love those waves I don't get anywhere near enough of them. Know some pretty happy people I figure they get these all the time?

How long have you been sober Krete? Is it something I can look forward to more of?

PS: Yes I think that alcohol is a depressant so there will be times when/where the "fog lifts" and you will get these waves of genuine happiness.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ive been sober off alcohol for 2 months today and 10 days off weed....next thing to go is caffeine
Old 04-11-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hi Krete,

Sounds like a 'Pink Cloud' day! I think that most folks get these when they give up drinking and drugging and start living a sober lifestyle... I know I do. I hope that you will find, like I did, that the further along you get in your sobriety the more often this happens!

Just enjoy it! Put on some great music and dance around with your little girl!

Peace to you, my friend.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yo Dude, this is what happens when we quit. It happened to me. At first I thought it was some kind of manic depressive thing going on. It's like a pendulum. Simple physics of the mind. Eventually it will even out. And for the better. As long as you don't go into a deep depression or have dismissive thoughts, you should be fine. If it keeps up and you're concerned, seek a professional for advice.
Thanks for posting. - Tomorrow is my quit day for tobacco. Coffee is on the horizon...