relationship advice.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relationship advice.

So I started dating a guy who is an ex heroin addict. Doesn't bother me in the slightest bit. Has been clean about 10 months, never relapsed, goes to meetings 5/6 nights a week and has a sponsor. Recently his sponsor told him that he needs to stop dating or he is going to relapse. Hearing this I told him I'm going to give him space and have him focus on himself. I'm trying to get information to help be supportive. I've found al-anon meetings that I would like to attend. What's the best advice someone can give me. Cause I really like this guy and want to be as supportive as I can. Thanks all!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Best advice: Take care of you. Keep living your life to the fullest. Spend quality times with your friends and family. Do things that are fun and that you enjoy. Be kind to others- especially animals, children, special needs people, and the elderly. Volunteer. Do your best at work or school. Don't financially overextend yourself. Pay your bills and taxes on time. Start saving now for retirement. Travel whenever possible. Get a physical checkup yearly. Listen to your body. Trust your gut.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My best advice would be to find an Al-anon meeting and you've already done that so you are heading in the right direction.

10 months is good but it's not solid recovery yet, so giving this lots of space and time is a wise move for both of you.

Welcome to SoberRecovery, I'm glad you joined us. Take a read around, especially the Sticky posts at the top of this forum and you will find a lot of helpful information.

Hugs
Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, always put yourself first when you are involved with an addict and that is coming form an addict. Sounds harsh I know, but the innocents are always the ones who suffer. I hope he does good, I really do. But put your own interests first xxxxx
Old 04-11-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dang! What cynical said!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is no such thing as an ex-addict.
Addiction is for life, recovery is a lifelong battle.