OT: Reiki

Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Reiki

I first read about reiki on the internet, as I'd seen it mentioned in a number of Meetups emails that I received. I was intrigued by the idea of being able to use it to help myself heal and also to see if my ancient basset might benefit. I then got a book or two out of the library on it. An awful lot about it tripped my BS detectors, but then I found out that my AH's sponsor's wife is into it. I've met her, and she seems like a pretty sane and grounded person to me, so I began to rethink my opinion. I had one reiki treatment myself a few months ago, and I actually felt mildly sick the next day, which is an effect I've also experienced after acupuncture sometimes. I ended up scheduling a day-long class (an "attunement, I believe they call it?) to learn how to practice the most basic form of reiki for this coming Monday, April 14.

The woman who is giving the class sent out an email advising about staying hydrated and avoiding any alcohol, etc., in the days before as well as being well rested. She also mentioned that there may be both physical and mental/emotional symptoms as our energy changes. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with reiki that they'd care to share w/a curious newbie? Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Honeypig!

I have no personal experience to share, but thought you might be interested in this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...i-healing.html
Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Seren--great link! Don't know why it didn't occur to me to search here first, since I find so much other useful info here...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I haven't a clue about Reiki-----however, I am all for anything that helps (without harming).

I haven't a clue about how electricity works, either----but I utilize it in many forms every day. I don't question it.........LOL.

dandylion
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
I haven't a clue about Reiki-----however, I am all for anything that helps (without harming).

I haven't a clue about how electricity works, either----but I utilize it in many forms every day. I don't question it.........LOL.
And I think that is the deal w/reiki, dandy, that it can only help, and at worst, nothing happens...

Thanks for the thought about electricity, as I am one who always wants to understand why, why, why. Critical thinking is an important skill, I believe, but I'm beginning to see that some (many?) things just need to be allowed to unfold with or w/o my understanding. I guess the burning need to always know why has to do w/thinking that this will give me some measure of control...

I think a lot more may be revealed than what I expected!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I did a paper on Reiki. People who practice it claim they can squeeze a few more minutes out of cell phone batteries and camera batteries. It is all energy. I interviewed a practitioner for my paper and I did not really feel anything when she worked on me for a few moments. My H surprisingly did! He claimed it felt tingly (though there is no physical touch). He was quite amazed. I was a bit of a skeptic but to see him feel it was intriguing.

I understand it can be very restful for oncology patients as they get so poked, prodded and full of pain that it is a way of getting some relief without physical touch.

Honeypig, I would check it out. A day of attunement sounds cool. The practitioner I know did one day classes to get a simple feel for it too. Also if you feel drawn to check it out, maybe you are to meet someone else there? Sometimes I think I have had interests arise just to put me in someone else's path...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
Also if you feel drawn to check it out, maybe you are to meet someone else there? Sometimes I think I have had interests arise just to put me in someone else's path...
Thanks for the reply, CodeJob. And yes, I think you're right--sometimes the reasons that we initially do things turn out not to be related to the actual benefit or learning that we get from the experience in the end. Thank you for reminding me to keep my mind open in that sense also!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi...ive done reiki 1 and reiki 2 . Never became a master cos i didnt want to teach it. It can be very oowerful stuff that reiki. I defo felt a shift when i was attuned by my teacher. My advice is go for it. The more you practice the more you gain. X
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

hey honey pig - i think it's wonderful you are checking out reiki! i've been involved with reiki for many years and it adds much to my wellbeing. in a way it reminds me of yoga in that it promotes mindfulness while helping in a physical way too. i find it very relaxing and it is a helpful tool (very full tool box!!!) for me in maintaining my balance, physically and spiritually, in daily life.

i hope you enjoy your day monday! let us know how it goes. i think you'll really get a lot out of it! have fun! and i agree with codejob, we can be led to great connections when we follow our hearts!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, idk anything about cell phone batteries & whatnot but I do attend a reiki healing circle at least a couple times a month. I went into it very much the same as you honeypig, not sure it was an "answer" but interested to see where else it led me on my path.

For me it has been very rewarding, a wonderful tool to add to my recovery toolkit. Reiki was described to me initially like this, "It's a way of healing the hurts without necessarily having to verbalize them". I have no formal training on reiki so my info comes via online, books & from talking with those that practice. My understanding is that it is intended to help you open up blocked energy (chi) in your body so that you can get back to a point of a natural flow. They often discuss/focus on the chakras (or energy centers) because they play a big part in it all - each chakra represents a different energy, a different link in the physical/emotional bond. (just like meridians in acupuncture, etc.)

My mom is about the biggest skeptic there is, lol, but she goes with me at least every 4-6 weeks for treatment. She said she can't explain it, but she ALWAYS feels better after a treatment & she's at that point in her recovery/therapy that that's enough of a reason for her to keep going.

The group we go to is pretty unique as far as I know. It's a center run by an individual, but as it is a healing circle night any number of practitioners may show up to give & receive. It's a very positive & supportive atmosphere & a lot of cross sharing of experiences, ideas, new books or whatever about all kinds of things from horticulture to healing.

DD also takes a bi-monthly class at the center for kids 8-14. She teaches them guided meditations, beginning reiki, breathing exercises & chakra cleansing, takes them outside to meditate in nature (blindfolded so they get a different sensory experience), tuning into their gut instincts, EFT tapping... just all kinds of stuff. DD adores this class more than almost anything in her whole world & the way it has helped her to find a balance in her little world has even been noticed & commented on by her teachers.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have experience with kundalini. There was a reiki studio in a place I went but i never tried it. i would say that it is real. From what i experienced with kundalini I haveno reason to be a skeptic. I've heard you can use your own energy or the divine if you are the reiki giver. I believe yoga is a good to practice alongside with it
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd be willing to try anything (that isn't illegal or immoral) at least once.
Please tell us afterwards what your experience was!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input, folks! Now I'm REALLY excited to be going, after hearing what everyone had to say!

To those who mentioned yoga, I'm also currently trying to revive my yoga practice, which has been more or less dormant for a couple of years. I did find it helpful in both the physical and emotional/spiritual sense, and definitely have found things bubbling up, unlooked for, while practicing in the past. I'm eager to see what it means to me now from my new and changing viewpoint.

I'll certainly check back in and let you know how things went, what it was like and so on. Again, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to share what you know and have experienced. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've done some energy healing, though not yet specifically Reiki it may be very similar. What I first thought was theory I now take as fact. What I first worked on coming to terms with was from my Christian background. I now accept it as is it, with different ways of looking at it from different cultures. Things that sounded strange at first are very real and everyday to me now. The changes I've felt in me are not psychosomatic. I wondered at a couple points, but I know they aren't.

Random links:
What Exactly Is Reiki? - Reiki Life Works
About Subtle Energy Bodies - youtube link there, though I don't have time to listen to it right now, so not sure how that one is

One thing I kept having problems with was a disconnect inside myself. Once I heard the terms used and was open to this, I found this link:
GROUNDING TECHNIQUE – How To Stay In Your Body

That exercise works for me. Suddenly the terms "head in the clouds", "being grounded" and "having your feet on the ground" took on brand new meanings to me. People have known these things for a very long time; many of us have just been closed off to it. At first it was very easy for me to visualize myself leaving my body and very hard to bring myself back down into my body. Now, more than a year later and lot of healing on different levels (physically, mentally, spiritually), I have often noticed recently how firmly "heavy" and grounded my feet feel.

The way it is stated may turn off some from it, all I know is it best explains exactly what had happened to me and a very important part of my healing.

When a person has been deeply wounded/traumatized...
under threat or attack, the Astral Body will unlock and escape. It’s that simple. What happens when this occurs? We feel DISCONNECTED from the threat, violence or trauma.
The Astral body has learned to ‘escape’ instead of remaining in the body to feel the powerful emotions that come with violence/trauma/PTSD/pain that is being experienced by the person. To remain unlocked can occur from one event, or from a series of events.
...while many will think that not feeling one’s full array of emotions is a good thing, it’s not. ....if one is disconnected from the PTSD/trauma/violence/shock done to them, they aren’t actively or consciously working through it. When this occurs, it’s like a toxic poison that is brewing in our unconscious.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That quote may sound like something a counselor or psychiatrist would say. This was a physical/mental exercise for me to bring my astral body back into alignment. The person I'd been going to for energy work kept grounding me, but it'd only work for so long and I'd be feeling a bit off and scattered -- that disconnected feeling again. I wanted to know how I could ground myself and found that link. It explained a lot. I also would consciously tell myself to stay with me right in the moment.That sounds weird, but it's not the first time I've talked to myself, so why not? It helped a lot!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

KTF, thanks for the links and for sharing your experiences. The grounding technique was especially interesting.

I don't have a Christian background, so that will not be an obstacle for me to overcome. What I mainly have to tune out is my own "rational" thinking and the resistance to anything I can't explain, measure and understand.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

honeypig,
I personally don’t have any experience with Reiki other than my Zumba teacher (clearing) everyone of negative energy prior to class.

But I can share with you what I have witnessed with my one friend who has really embraced it. She lost her husband to cancer a few years, he was only 48 and they had been together since high school. She was lost, depressed and at time inconsolable and then she got involved with Reike and she is feeling alive and enjoying life again. It works for her and that’s pretty much what anything come down to, if it works for you then all the best. I think trying different things is great because we never know until we try it.

Enjoy it and share with us your experience after the session on Monday.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Update on the reiki attunement yesterday: First of all, we sat in a circle and introduced ourselves. I had to fight the urge to say "Hi, so-and-so" after each person did their introduction! There were 4 of us and the teacher.

Then she talked about what reiki was, and how the practitioner is only a channel for the universal energy, not the source of the energy. In the course of the discussion, it was mentioned that the practitioner doesn't direct the energy; it flows to where it is needed. The practitioner doesn't control how much energy flows; the recipient will accept whatever amount they are able to or need to. We can offer reiki to someone, but just b/c we think they need it doesn't mean they want it, and we shouldn't try to impose our own will on anyone else.

Does any of this sound familiar to you guys yet? Wait, there's more!

It's extremely important to not be attached to a specific outcome of the reiki session and to only set the intention as being "for the highest good"; being attached to a specific outcome could also limit the many possibilities of healing that we can't see from our limited perspective. We also learned about how to "disconnect" from someone after a session so we aren't taking their stuff home w/us...

So much of it sounded like Alanon in a different context!

Long story short, I'm very glad I went, and I look forward to practicing my baby reiki skills and observing the results, whatever they may be. Thanks again to all of you who shared your experiences and insights.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

On vacation a couple of years ago I signed up for a Reiki massage at the spa. I do believe that our energies can be out of sync and I liked the idea of it.

Anyway I went in for my massage and about 10 mins in I was thinking "when does she start rubbing me"? I asked and she told me that they don't touch in Reiki just hold their hand over chakras and align them.

I should have said something then. My fault for not finding out - I really wanted a massage. I was so pissed I couldn't even meditate or relax. I paid $100 and exited with my chakras twisted into knots.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oh, redatlanta, how frustrating! I love, love, love massage myself, and I'd really hate it if what happened to you happened to me...!