Need to deal with a drink driver

Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to deal with a drink driver

Hi all

First post so quick introduction...Based in UK. My father in law is an alcoholic. He has had a drink problem for over 20 years but the past 2 years it has become increasingly worse. He is probably depressed but is not ready to admit it yet. He has some good weeks, but mostly very very bad weeks. Its destroying the family; in particular my mother-in-law who is in a living nightmare but the family are desperately trying to learn how cope with this problem. We only recently came to terms that this is not a quick fix, or there will even ever be a fix at all. My mother in law goes to Al-anon from time to time and my wife along with her two sisters are trying very hard to support both her father and mother. Its all very difficult.

The reason for my post is because we are now at another low point in this situation where my father-in-law is often drink driving. We weren't quite aware of the severity until very recently but he often has difficulty making it from the car to the front door. To me, this is the lowest point in this sorry tale. Having a problem with alcohol and all it brings on the family is one thing, but putting the general public at risk with this behavior is unacceptable. We have tried talking to my father-in-law but he is not co-operating and to put it bluntly he cannot be trusted. We therefore accept it is our responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen. My wife took his car keys off him 2 days ago. This hasn’t gone down well to say the least and has caused everyone involved utter heartache. My father-in-law is very manipulative and is good at getting a reaction. Today he has threatened to leave my mother-in-law as well as blaming my wife saying that her actions is putting this stress on him to make him do this. So far my wife is standing firm but I do not know how long this can continue. My mother-in-law is not strong enough right now to keep the car on the drive and the keys off him so in my opinion the car or his license needs to go.

So here is my question.. what to do?! Does anyone have experience with this?

Is there a way to report him to the DVLA so his license is taken off him?

I do not want to go to the police unless it is absolutely necessary as I fear this will put too much strain on my mother-in-law dealing with the fall out, however I won’t rule it out if this is what has to be done to avoid anyone getting hurt or even killed.

Thanks all in advance
Old 04-10-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you should rethink calling the police. What if he kills someone else and you have not told the police? It may be the only thing that saves his life or someone elses. Your mother in law is going to have a completely different kind of fallout in that he will either die or kill someone else like this, I would think dealing with the police would be much better than that.

Good Luck.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can't control him and eventually this stand-off will become untenable. Every time he drives drunk, call the police. Let him suffer the natural consequences of his choices. That you're nudging the consequences along, well, that's public safety.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pia

I had to go through a AH that drives drunk and other influences. I reported him anonymous to the police.
The thought of being blood guilty because I DID NOT do it out weighed protecting him.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
You can't control him and eventually this stand-off will become untenable. Every time he drives drunk, call the police. Let him suffer the natural consequences of his choices. That you're nudging the consequences along, well, that's public safety.
^^This, x10.

You can't protect him from the consequences of his own decisions & this is a progressive disease. What you are seeing now will certaily get worse (hard as it is to imagine).... so how long can you continue to throw yourselves in the middle of situations in order to protect MIL? All you are really accomplishing is delaying it until it's impossible to manage or ignore any longer... and exhausting yourselves & your resources in the process.

Best of luck - it's definitely not an easy situation.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi whattodo, if your FIL is a long-term alcoholic there's probably some dementia going on there as well. You're right to be concerned about public safety, because they can do a lot of damage.
My suggestion is that you actually go to your local police station and discuss the whole thing with them. They might go around and talk to him, or there may be a process where they can get him tested. If he does drink/drive, ask the police about the best way to report him and get him picked up.
You say he's not ready for help yet, and protecting him from the consequences of his actions will keep him from getting help.
Does he pose any sort of threat to his wife? Does he verbally abuse her? Or are they just used to the idea that he's the boss? You may have to provide a temporary refuge for her if he gets too bad. Is she prepared to stand her ground if he does threaten to leave? Because that would give her a break, and as long as he can't drive, might shock him into treatment.
It's great that you're all banding together to support your MIL, and beyond that please get together to work out how you can not enable his behaviour in any way, or he won't feel the need to get help.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with FeelingGreat. I made a great many phone calls to the non-emergency number at the police station asking for advice. I think they would be happy to assist with preventing yet another drunk driving death.

It's a hard call to make, because you feel protective of the alcoholic even though you are probably furious with him. And of course protective of his wife. But as hopeful said -- if he were to kill someone driving drunk, your MIL would be in for a whole different set of consequences... financial, social, etc.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What about the breatherlizers to start the car can u get them there. Then if he drunk his car cant start problem solved peoples lives saved
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello. Sorry for ur situation. I'm uk too and my STBXAH has just had his license revoked due to alcohol dep. tbh I'm pleased as was v worried about him driving my children or hurting anyone else as well. It's a huge risk and I also know its a tough call to make but you can call the police anon and give them all his details and they will randomly check him. It's called a screening call. Good luck and best wishes. IMO you've got very little option as the risks are so huge. One friend said to me when I expressed concern re STBXAH that there are lots of bad drivers out there. My reaction? No need to put my daughters in the car with a drunk one. Terrifying.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I'm sorry that you are being put in such a difficult situation but I agree with the others who have suggested that you call the police. He is putting innocent lives at risk with his selfish and unreasonable behavior and needs to be stopped.

I have a simple suggestion.... DISABLE the car! Pull the ignition coil wire and take it!

If he is drunk he wont be able to figure it out....
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife called the police on me when I became a danger to myself and those around me. The police would rather prevent a disaster than clean up after one, and a little talk from the authorities might prove helpful.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by whattodo1000 View Post
Hi all

First post so quick introduction...Based in UK. My father in law is an alcoholic. He has had a drink problem for over 20 years but the past 2 years it has become increasingly worse. He is probably depressed but is not ready to admit it yet. He has some good weeks, but mostly very very bad weeks. Its destroying the family; in particular my mother-in-law who is in a living nightmare but the family are desperately trying to learn how cope with this problem. We only recently came to terms that this is not a quick fix, or there will even ever be a fix at all. My mother in law goes to Al-anon from time to time and my wife along with her two sisters are trying very hard to support both her father and mother. Its all very difficult.

The reason for my post is because we are now at another low point in this situation where my father-in-law is often drink driving. We weren't quite aware of the severity until very recently but he often has difficulty making it from the car to the front door. To me, this is the lowest point in this sorry tale. Having a problem with alcohol and all it brings on the family is one thing, but putting the general public at risk with this behavior is unacceptable. We have tried talking to my father-in-law but he is not co-operating and to put it bluntly he cannot be trusted. We therefore accept it is our responsibility to make sure this doesn't happen. My wife took his car keys off him 2 days ago. This hasn’t gone down well to say the least and has caused everyone involved utter heartache. My father-in-law is very manipulative and is good at getting a reaction. Today he has threatened to leave my mother-in-law as well as blaming my wife saying that her actions is putting this stress on him to make him do this. So far my wife is standing firm but I do not know how long this can continue. My mother-in-law is not strong enough right now to keep the car on the drive and the keys off him so in my opinion the car or his license needs to go.

So here is my question.. what to do?! Does anyone have experience with this?

Is there a way to report him to the DVLA so his license is taken off him?

I do not want to go to the police unless it is absolutely necessary as I fear this will put too much strain on my mother-in-law dealing with the fall out, however I won’t rule it out if this is what has to be done to avoid anyone getting hurt or even killed.

Thanks all in advance
So sorry to hear about the situation you find yourselves in, honestly I think the authorities have to be contacted, if he cannot be trusted with the keys to a car whilst under the influence then should the very worst happen to someone your whole family would feel partly responsible I know I would.
It's a very tough thing to have to do I realise but it's for the benefit of everyone even if your father Inlaw sees it another way.
Best of luck and hope everything turns out for you all.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My family intervened on me using a
court order to have me picked up
and taken in for, first a mental
evaluation, then a 28 inhab stay
for 28 days.

I did drink and drive like many,
but it was hittin my lowest of
low and wanting to leave this
world with taking a handful of
pills and not wanting to wake up.