Notices

Breaking habits

Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

Breaking habits

Checking in guys, and I hope everyone is fighting the good fight.

These last few months have been some of the most enlightening of my life. I'm not there yet, but I've had more success than I have in the two years since this all started (very heavy drinking anyway with no sober days ever).

With more sober time I've been able to firstly, explore more meaningful and healthy means of fulfilment, and secondly, just realise that often the present moment is more than fine, to relax, and come to grips that not everyday needs to be spent trying (pushing) to enrich my life (doing so can lead to the opposite, I've found).

I'm sometimes deal with feelings of fear and dread, and I have to admit that a significant part of my drinking is to dampen anxiety, instead of dealing with it in a healthy way (I've had immense success in tackling it properly and in a healthy way in the past by the way).

I just wanted to put this out there, and I'm sure people can relate, would love to hear from you. I really want to get to that better place, if I'm even thinking about this the right way.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
just realise that often the present moment is more than fine, to relax, and come to grips that not everyday needs to be spent trying (pushing) to enrich my life (doing so can lead to the opposite, I've found)
Excellent point Kys! I too am finding with all this newly found time and energy that I'm tending to push myself more and more to "do", where I need to be able just enjoy the now and "be". There's a lot to be said about just chilling out and relaxing. Congrats on the great progress!!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks Betterlife, glad you can relate

Time and energy, it's been so long I'm still coming to grips that these are normal and deserved things to have
Old 04-10-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Kys, for your post.

I can relate to all this. The present moment, I have found, is all we have, all we can control, and therefore, all we need to think about. "Whenever in doubt, just do the next right thing," another alcoholic-in-recovery told me.

I deal with anxiety and definitely drank to bury it. After a few drinks I became smarter, stronger, more assertive and without anxiety. Of course I didn't stop there and three days later I'd be shaking from withdrawals. Brings back memories, but it's good because it's important for me to remember my last drunk, which keeps me sober. But I'm one year sober today! Feels like a miracle. Thanks to AA I feel much better.

Thanks again for posting!

Andy
Old 04-10-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kys

Congrats on one year! And for your reply also, I really needed to get this out there.

One year is an incredible effort, I hope you're proud