Notices

Not asking for medical advice but....

Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not asking for medical advice but....

are there any wine drinkers out there? How much were you drinking when you decided to stop and did you do it alone or seek medical help? I'm going to see a doctor but just want to know what to expect. Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At my worst I was drinking a large bottle of Chardonnay every night. This was in the last few months of my drinking career. I didn't see a doctor when I quit, and was VERY lucky to experience few withdrawal symptoms (mostly trouble sleeping and night sweats). I wouldn't recommend not seeking medical advice to anyone else, especially if they drink more than that or had that heavy of a habit for a longer time frame, but that was my experience.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a wine drinker. Today is my first day without. I am going to get medical advice.

Sorry I can't offer advice but just thought I'd post to say I'm probably in a similar place to you.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I was a wine binge drinker. When I would start I would buy a large bottle of white wine. Come home pour it over ice maybe add alittle juice and drink it with a cigarette. Just enough to get a buzz. Then the AV would take over and I would start plotting and rationing the rest of the bottle to get me til morning. Then the next day it would be another bottle, then 2, then a box (cause it was cheeper and easier to hide...). I would binge for about 6 days and then stop, get sick and pissed at myself, look like hell, lie that I have the flu because that is what it felt like. It would last 3 days of nausea, shakey hands, foggy thinking, sleepy yet sleepless....basically a living hell. In the past I have had worse and experienced alcoholic seizures. Had to be rushed to the hospital. So detox is no joke. Make sure someone knows what is happening. It takes the stress out of thinking that you will be alone if the worst happens. Drink lots of water or gatorade. Seizures occurr when your electrolites are low. Try to eat something even if you can't keep it down. Get some fresh air to clear your head. And try to remember that when this passes you never want to feel like that ever again. Good luck♡

Last edited by ChloeRose63; 04-09-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-09-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Make sure your completely honest with your Dr, you can only get the best advice and treatment if you completely lay everything on the table.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I quit I was drinking 10 -15 litres a week. I had been abusing alcohol for about 15 years. I didn't get medical help but I wish I had. My withdrawal was awful, I could barely even drink water for 5 days, was shaky and anxious for about 10 days. I did take a tranquilizer after day 10. Seeing a doctor is definitely a wise option
Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I was a wine binge drinker. When I would start I would buy a large bottle of white wine. Come home pour it over ice maybe add alittle juice and drink it with a cigarette. Just enough to get a buzz. Then the AV would take over and I would start plotting and rationing the rest of the bottle to get me til morning. Then the next day it would be another bottle, then 2, then a box (cause it was cheeper and easier to hide...). I would binge for about 6 days and then stop, get sick and pissed at myself, look like hell, lie that I have the flu because that is what it felt like. It would last 3 days of nausea, shakey hands, foggy thinking, sleepy yet sleepless....basically a living hell. ♡
This could have been written by me. Sheesh. . . we really aren't alone in this at all. Good luck <3
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Great advice, Seahorse. 10 days is a long time. Did anyone ever tell you about P.A.W.S? I didn't have it until 2 months sober. Was crazy not knowing what was happening to me. So I googled it and it is Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. I think it is important to know about it if you are in recovery.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Smile We are 'family'.....

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
This could have been written by me. Sheesh. . . we really aren't alone in this at all. Good luck <3
Hello, nice to meet you! CR
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, calnat

For many years I would only ever drink gin & tonic. I already had a drink problem but it really escalated when I discovered Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. I was 39.

I gave up drinking 14 months ago and at the time I was drinking a bottle and a half to two bottles three or four times a week. The hangovers and the blackouts were awful.

The last time I drank I passed out and hit my head on something sharp (hence my name). I was very lucky as it could have been a whole lot worse. I haven't had a drink since. I stopped without any medical advice and, again, was lucky not to have serious withdrawal symptoms. I think the bang on the head put paid to all that!

It's great that you're seeing a doctor. From my experience, I would expect them to be concerned and supportive but not judgemental
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great advice, Seahorse. 10 days is a long time. Did anyone ever tell you about P.A.W.S? I didn't have it until 2 months sober. Was crazy not knowing what was happening to me. So I googled it and it is Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. I think it is important to know about it if you are in recovery.
PAWS can suck big time if you don't know what is going on. It took me a few times before I realized that I was fine, and that it was just my body getting back to normal. It'll happen. Time is your friend. Well, time and understanding what is going on.

Hi ChloeRose
Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was a white wine drinker. I weened myself off wine slowly by adding water to it for about a week and kept decreasing my amount and more water. I didn't have withdrawal nearly as bad as 6 months before when I quit cold turkey. That being said I know that most people do not recommend weening because you're liable to get yourself drunk again, but I was serious about it. Personally when I think back I had wish I'd gone to the doctor just to have that extra support.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by calnat View Post
are there any wine drinkers out there? How much were you drinking when you decided to stop and did you do it alone or seek medical help? I'm going to see a doctor but just want to know what to expect. Thanks
Hi Calnat

I'm sure your Dr has dealt with this before with other patients - you'll be fine.

I usually drank beer, but at my wine worst, I could drain a 5 litre cask in a little over a day, but I seem to have avoided any liver problems

Not everyone gets PAWs

D
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the best decision of your life!!! Glad to hear you are following that decision with action! Your doctor will lead you in the right direction. In the end for me, and for a good portion of my drinking career, wine was my choice as well. I loved cold white wines. But by the end, I didnt even care if it was warm. As long as I got my buzz. After a few pretty serious binges, I vowed to never do it again, only to do it again. I feel so much better without the poison in my body. Keep us posted on what happens with the doc. Look forward to seeing you around!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I Drank lots of red wine. Two bottles a night plus for many years. I have twice detoxed in hospital and would highly recommend it if you are just starting to quit. After my last relapse I did detox at home but at that point I was drinking beer, not wine, not as much either and I saw my doctor before I quit.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi I suggest you make an extended appointment and tell the doctor the truth about how much you're drinking. You won't shock him/her, but you might want to say you're being honest because they assume you're understating the amount.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
LDT

At the end of my spiral,I could easily drink 2 bottles of wine per night/day. I saw a doctor (several times ) when I finally quit. .... Highly recommend.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for all your responses I was not expecting this. I think from what you have all said I am being weak. I feel ill when I don't drink, anxious, upset, scared etc but no seizures and no being sick. I desperately want to stop its ruining my life. No idea where to start but love this forum. Glad (and sad) to know I'm not alone
Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calnat View Post
I was drinking 2 large bottles of White Zinfandel a day. Every day. For a number of years. While I always felt like crap in the morning, the last month before I stopped I started having horrible stomach spasms and would gag and then the anxiety would start and the only way to calm me was to force down a glass of wine - I was literally gagging as I was drinking it. After glass #2 I was on my way to feeling "normal". I was living in my own prison and it was pure hell. I woke up that last morning and decided I just couldn't keep doing this and stopped. While that first week was no picnic, I didn't have any of the severe side effects that, quite frankly, I should have had considering how long I had drank and how much I had drank. What I did experience was off the chart anxiety, sleeplessness, bowel movements from hell (sorry if TMI) and horrific headaches. I would never suggest going it alone and if you have a doctor you trust, definitely seek their help. Good luck to you!
Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi All. Still drinking unfortunately but want to be honest. I have a doctors appointment booked for Friday. I want to feel normal again its been awhile. I read posts of people that have stopped and feel 'great' and think, could I do that? Can I really do that? The answer is I hope so. x