Notices

pregnancy and withdrawal

Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pregnancy and withdrawal

I am sure I will get a lot of "aggressive " responses from this but I guess I will need support. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant...For the last 3 yrs I have been on narcotics for residual issues caused by my last pregnancy... I was planning to get surgery to try fix some of these issues but then low and behold I am pregnant. .. anyways before I knew I was pg I was on high doses of morphine. ..30mg every 6 hrs. .. After I found out my doc switched me to suboxone for a few days and then subtex. I was still having pain issues and so my doc and ob agreed to switch me to percs. 5 a day
... Well it wasn't good enough and let's just say I ran out early. .. way early. ..I know bad terrible mother. .
But I am trying. ..I am doing what I can and still trying to keep up with my two 2 yr Olds. .. I gave the doc a bs story of the percs making me feel icky. She said she would switch me to something else but I need to return unused meds... which I do not have. I am scared. ..I feel terrible and no one really knows the extent of this. .. I should say though that every single pill I have taken has been prescription to me....I have had issues in the past with percs I should have known better....I should have been stronger. I don't want to tell the docs the truth because I really do have pain and fear I will be labeled an addict if I am honest. ...I just didn't want to hurt any more. .. anyways I just took my last pill. ... I have ambien (also approved by ob) and nothing else... I have a fetal doppler and have been watching babies heart. ...I read some where risk of miscarriage is lowest during second trimester if you withdraw. .. feeling desperate and insanely anxious about what is bound to come. .. Last summer I cold turkey quit percs and tramadol... ended up in the er twice and wanted to die every second for like 2 weeks (first physical then mental) any one been through any thing like this... Any advice short of tell the truth and see your doc. Thanks ahead of time for help or encouragement. ..sigh..
Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately we can't give medical advice, but you said if you were honest you would be labeled an addict.

Now This is a recovery forum. Do you want to recover?

If so I would tell that doctor ASAP. He needs to know. If you don't then I would question your concern for that baby.

Let him help you formulate a plan.

Withdrawal does stink. It's so hard. But you are not the first woman who is pregnant on drugs and you won't be the last.
This could actually be a gift for you to get off pills, narcotics once and for all. There are plenty of non narcotic pain relievers.

I have a terrible back. I now take Aleve and it works like a charm.

Prescription or Not what does that matter. If you are abusing them and going through withdrawals when you run out then
you are an addict in my opinion.

Just edited- I really have no idea how much pain you are in so I apologize if I minimized it, My back pain is pretty bad, But your Doctor should know either way.

Last edited by deeker; 04-08-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are right. . There is no real difference. Then what? Er trip to say hey I f'ed up. .. Right no medical advice. .. Maybe I will just try to deal. ...I just know w/ds are so tough on babies
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purechaos View Post
You are right. . There is no real difference. Then what? Er trip to say hey I f'ed up. .. Right no medical advice. .. Maybe I will just try to deal. ...I just know w/ds are so tough on babies
Tell your doctor!! Let him help you with the decision. He may have something else in mind. This is not just about you anymore.

What's more important a human life or your ego?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A lot of people f-up, you are not unique. Do the right thing for that baby and talk to that doctor. Your ego will survive that baby may not.

You can do this. I know you are afraid you will be cut off. I would take that chance for my Babies life.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree. You need to tell your doctor. If you're not honest, they can't help you or your baby. Like Deeker said, it's not just about you anymore. You say that WDs are hard on babies, but i think you are more worried about WDs being hard on you and that's understandable but your baby deserves a Mum who gives a **** and is willing to do what it takes (including taking an ego hit) to protect it. I'm sorry if I sound harsh and I don't know what you're going through, but as a mother of 3 myself I can tell you, you only get one shot at it so if you F##ck this up, there are no second chances. Tell your doctor, don't sugar coat it, let it out in all it's glory. It will probably be a relief.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, you might not want to hear it, but tell your dr.

You need to step aside and let the baby you are carrying be cared for. Put your needs aside and do what is right for your child. Your dr can help you and help your baby.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

This really isn't about screwing up or who's bad, purechoas

You need to be honest with your Dr - not only for your sake, but your baby's sake too.
D
Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think medical intervention is important at this point. Your responsibility extends beyond yourself now, and your baby deserves the best possible start in life.
There are many programs specifically designed to get pregnant women off of drugs, your state/city/community probably has resources for you to take advantage of. There is nothing that matters as much as our kids, please seek help.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I ran a drug treatment program for many years where it was common for pregnant women to be seen by their doc and using methadone. The baby is weaned off from methadone when born. The doctors were really awesome and understanding of what was was going on with women who were addicted. I think talking to your doctor is a good idea too.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a thought...the doctor may already suspect something is up and will likely appreciate your honesty. Perhaps with honesty the doctor will become an ally and work with you.

Seems like you're at a fork in the road. I know the conversation with the doctor may be hard for the 5-10 minutes it goes on (maybe you can bring a support person). The relief of getting it out there will probably feel good as will asking for help.

Good luck to you!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Please speak honestly with your doctor now. Both of you can benefit from this.

I wish you well

Love & hugs,
~SB
Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Laying on the er
table. ...Guess we'll see what happens. ...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Keep us posted, purechaos
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Proud of you purechaos! Prayers being sent up for you and your baby.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hugs purechaos!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im a midwife so my advice tell your dr. The quicker u r taken off the drugs and given methadone the better for bubs. Bubs will withdraw after birth with meds but can be fatal doing it yourself in pregnancy. Please be honest with your dr. We do not judge just want the best outcome for u and bub
Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Many here to help offer support for you and your baby!
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Half truth half lies told them the meds were gone but that I don't know where they went. .. The er doc did some blood work (drug test I assume) also said my kidneys are infected. .. my guess is the large amt of acetamenophin... put me on an antibiotic but said if the pain doesn't go away I will need to be hospitalized. ... talked to my ob... said this was my free pass. ... Never again
But switched me to extended release morphine. ..I don't fee anything from it but will be enough to keep baby safe from. W/d. I also told my Husband last night. ..I think I will give him the pill bottle. ... so easy to slip so hard not to fail. .. Thank you all for your continued support
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hang in there hugs