Notices

Social Rejection

Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social Rejection

Hey all,

This is my first time posting here so a little about where I'm at right now. I have been clean from all drugs and alcohol since completing treatment. My clean date is Jan. 3 2014.

I was recently kicked out of a three quarter house for talking about my spirit guide. The girls in the house insisted I go to my psychiatrist because I had stopped taking medication, and they wanted a member to be present for my psychiatric evaluation. When I resisted, they gave me the boot. I was the only one in the house who attended NA or AA meetings daily, did step work and used a sponsor to help me in my recover.

I'm living with my son and dealing with the blow to my self esteem from being labeled a social outcast. I'm trying not to let it get me down but you know how that goes.

Thanks for reading. Any input is appreciated.

C
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR, and CONGRATULATIONS on being clean and sober for over 3 months!

Sorry about your troubles with the 3/4 house. Whats your plan from here? continue with the 12 step programs?

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and congratulations on your recovery.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Paul!

I definitely plan on continuing to make meetings and do step work. I am living with my son for now and holding down a part time job. I am looking for more work so I can get a vehicle and become self reliant...in other words get back what drug use took from me. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist and I plan on going...without someone else sitting in...I have other plans such as one day going back to school to finish my Masters in Counseling and to explore doing some artwork, an old neglected passion.

Thanks for asking and for the welcome!

C
Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congratulations on your sobriety and also on your connection with your spirit guide!!

welcome.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im a alcoholic but ive never been to AA so I wont claim to know exactly how it works. However maybe you should keep what goes on at AA and the aspects of it to yourself, talking about "spirit guides" to people who have no idea what you are talking about might come across as a little weird.

You and I and everyone else on this site know it is not weird because we know it helps you deal with your alcoholism but to some one who has never had a problem with drink they might think it pretty strange.

I hope you dont get the impression that I think you should not talk about "spirit guides" and other aspects of AA but maybe you should be very careful with who you discuss things like that.

For instance I would never tell anyone at work I was an alcoholic, they would be constantly talking behind my back and it wouldnt surprise me if they found a way to get rid of me. I am very careful about who I tell that I am an alcoholic, some people just dont understand.

dont let it get you down in anyway, you did nothing wrong...maybe just something to bear in mind in the future.

Good luck!!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Char,

Congrats on your sober time. That is a really big accomplishment. I was thinking that people do a lot of things because of fear. I don't know what type of medication you were taking or for what but since the girls in the house were aware of the meds and that you stopped taking them perhaps they were afraid of what might happen if you stopped. Then their fear may have grown since you (quite rightly) told them they could not attend your meeting with your doctor?

Much of this is based on speculation but people mostly react to feelings of fear to change, fear of things they don't understand, fear that they can't control what is happening, fear of what might happen.

As for talking about your spirit guide, is that your higher power? Most people in AA are more familiar with a Judeo Christian God as their higher power rather than a spirit guide and there again, fear of the unknown kicks in.

Stick with your plan. It sounds like things are going well for you. You have goals and a plan. All good things. A lot of people have posted the comment "what other people think of me is none of my business." I think it is helpful because we have very little control over what other people think about us.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Charcole View Post
Thanks Paul!

I definitely plan on continuing to make meetings and do step work. I am living with my son for now and holding down a part time job. I am looking for more work so I can get a vehicle and become self reliant...in other words get back what drug use took from me. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist and I plan on going...without someone else sitting in...I have other plans such as one day going back to school to finish my Masters in Counseling and to explore doing some artwork, an old neglected passion.

Thanks for asking and for the welcome!
I am a plan fan, so your post was great stuff!.

Keep planning for a sober life and you're likely to have one!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Charcole
I know you'll find support and understanding here.
D
Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

get past step 5

I wish you well on your sober journey!