Notices

Need motivation

Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need motivation

I am dying over here. I am only 2 days sober and I have zero motivation to go the gym. I usually go 6 days a week ( even while drinking ) and today I have zero motivation to go. I know I need to go, but can't muster energy to go. I jist want to go to bed as soon as my huaband gets home and sleep until tomorrow. Ugh. Please help.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to bed. Sleep until tomorrow. Does your husband know of you desire for sobriety? Getting some support during initial withdrawal is always beneficial. Depending on how much you were drinking, medical supervision is always, always a solid idea.

Those first few days of recovery hammer us, and sleep, water, good food and comfort time are what is in store.

Hitting the gym would require some superhuman strength, in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go to bed. Listen to your body and do what it tells you.if you need to sleep then sleep. Many of us struggled to leave the house in the first week never mind do a workout at the gym Be kind to yourself
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hardest part of motivation is getting out the door.

This time around in sobriety for some reason I'm finding it a lot harder to keep on my gym regimen. I think partly the winter doldrums are having an impact.

BUT - if I get my butt out the door with a "just do what you can... doesn't have to be a full out body crusher... just go get some workout time in" then it feels less daunting and I go.

I always leave the gym glad I did....

Now... HOP TO IT!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The early days of recovery are tough. The only thing you have to be motivated about is not drinking. Let everything else slide until you feel up to it.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just my little opinion, but Alcohol contains lots of sugar, maybe your workouts were fed by sugar energy?

I find I have less energy since I quit, body healing and less sugar.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Serenity85 View Post
I am dying over here. I am only 2 days sober and I have zero motivation to go the gym. I usually go 6 days a week ( even while drinking ) and today I have zero motivation to go. I know I need to go, but can't muster energy to go. I jist want to go to bed as soon as my huaband gets home and sleep until tomorrow. Ugh. Please help.
I had to sometimes simply go to bed when I felt like this in the early days and weeks, your two best friends right now are sleep and water.
It does get better, good things never come easy.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would recommend just going to the gym. If you don't feel like working out then don't. A month ago when I was hitting the gym there were days I didn't feel like going. So I figured I would just go and do some upper body for 20 minutes. Two hours later after lifting and then 45 minutes on elliptical I found myself upstairs working abs.
So maybe just getting out the door is all it takes. I know it's tough.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^yes! That.

and the sugar thing.

Rebuilding habits takes time... and action.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The early days are rough - but remember this is not the way it will always be. You will get through this and things will be better

D
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

some I know say it's been helpful to them to treat the early days like recovering from a serious illness and to just take care of themselves and accept the sluggishness and lack of motivation without fighting against them.
to give themselves the time and space to "get better".
about the gym....I spent a lot of drinking years going to the gym without ever missing...it was a regiment not just to be in shape but also had the purpose to prove to myself I couldn't be a real drunk, cause real drunks can't function that way. right? right!!!!
if the lack of "doing" is driving you nuts, make a list of a few small things to get done and do one or two of them. Such as walking round the block or two or one load of laundry or watering that plant or having a bath or.......