Notices

online meetings

Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

online meetings

On my phone now so I can't navigate the site like when I'm on my computer. Are there online meetings? I don't have a microphone so I'd have to type. I'd also prefer not to be on camera. If not on this site does anyone have suggestions for a good website to do meetings? Even just watching a speaker meeting would be great. Going in person gives me extreme anxiety, doesn't always work with my schedule and I prefer to just listen and not participate. At least not yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

There is a website called in the rooms or something, where they do a chat room type thing for a meeting xxxxx
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi amandaw. There are chat meetings here at SR on Tuesdays and Fridays at 9:00 EST. No mics, no cams, just lotsa support. You go to chat and then you click on the meeting room and there you are. You can type if you feel like it, or you can just read. I went to my first on this past Friday and found it to be very helpful. The meetings are moderated and they tell you how they work at the beginning so it's real easy. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA online has meetings daily as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. Doing it on my own isn't working. I'm coming off four days of use (2 of them were BAD). I'm starting to think I need more help. Although I should say coming on here and reading does help a lot. I just didn't do so the past four days.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I shouldn't say I'm starting to think. I know it. I'm going to do outpatient rehab over the summer but I have to wait until then.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I recommend looking up any speaker tapes that Clancy I has done. He's pretty awesome. Have you considered calling your local AA hotline and seeing if someone would meet with you one on one at a coffee shop or maybe even at your house or hers? It may be less stressful for you than attending a meeting.

I remember the first time i went to a meeting. I hated it. I didn't like anyone there, i thought AA was a religious cult and i didn't want anything to do with it. It was several years later that i found myself in the parking lot of an AA clubhouse. I checked in on foursquare, sat in the parking lot for an hour and left right around the time the meeting let out. I did that twice. The third time, i just took a deep breath and walked in. Amazingly, no one there bit me. In fact, they were welcoming and compassionate. I didn't wait for the courage to walk through those doors. I just finally decided that i was desperate enough to get sober that i could walk through my fear and take a seat. I was still nervous after the meeting but i realized that i'd finally found people who understood me. I hope you get desperate enough to make a face to face meeting soon.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have attended meetings before, and most I enjoy. I've gone to some tho where I've had bad experiences including people following me to my car and preaching to me, and saying in the meeting that I'd never get better if I didn't share, then he proceeded to tell the room that people who don't share are selfish. He went on and on. I want to get more sober time before I go into that. I will go to a women's meeting but there isn't one until Thursday. I want to do online stuff until I feel better.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I attribute SR's online Tues and Fri meetings to keeping me sober for a year. Easy, free, moderated and quite useful.